Default Extended Stay America

I was just thinking I would share that on our last two road trips, we stayed at a few Extended Stay America hotels. I think they're a great moneysaver because the rates are super low. They aren't as bad as a lot of cheap hotels, though. They're designed to be no-frills types of hotels for people who are staying for extended periods of time (we encountered a lot of construction workers who were staying for work), but you can stay for just one night. They have little kitchenettes with stoves, microwaves, etc. Plus, they have free breakfast in the morning -- it's simple stuff, like granola bars and muffins and such, but it works.

Just thought I'd share...we prefer to stay in cheaper hotels but don't like to end up in "roach motels." Extended Stay America seems to be a nice compromise. The ones we stayed at were simple yet clean and in good locations. We booked through Priceline and paid $30ish a night in several major cities, like Denver and Kansas City.

I agree, I've had pretty good luck with them too, and I've also wound up with them quite a few times while bidding on Priceline. Typically they fall into the 2-star category. I've seen pretty good deals booking directly through their website too, although not typically anywhere near $30 a night. At one point they had a $10 coupon available on their website, although, I don't know if its still there.

Having a full fridge and kitchen is a very nice touch, especially when traveling on a budget or when you've been on the road for a while and really just want a non-restaurant meal. They certainly are more bare-bones than a lot of other motels in this price range, and they don't typically have things like workout rooms, pools, and the breakfast is basically coffee, fruit, and granola bars, but the kitchen is a very nice trade off.

Main Stay Suites is another chain that focuses on the extended-stay/mini-apartment style rooms. It tends to be a step or two higher in the quality/price scale, but you can find deals there too at times.

Yes, looking at their website now, the rates seem much higher than what I remember paying. It has been a little while now, but I distinctly remember paying somewhere in the $30 to $40 range.

You're right...the breakfasts aren't fancy, but they are fine for grabbing and munching on the road. The main sell for me is the kitchen for sure!

I'll check out Main Stay Suites.

Ooooh! I did forget to mention but just thought about it while looking for hotels for our upcoming trip. The Extended Stay America hotels that we stayed in did not have hair dryers. NONE of them did. Thought that was odd -- even the cheapest hotels that I've ever stayed in had that.