1. Default Where are the RV sites

Hi there everybody :)

I've just registered so am new to all this.

I've never been to the USA but next year am taking 4 weeks out to travel by RV from Minneapolis, Minnesota, to Houston, Texas.

Are there any good resources available to help me find RV camp sites along the route? Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thank you,

Philip

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

There are no shortage of RV sites anywhere in the US. There are entire guidebooks and directories you can purchase, with Woodall's guides probably being the most comprehensive.

If you are a member of AAA - or the equivalent Auto Club in your home country - they should also be able to provide a directory. Whatever company you rent from could also be another resource to find some help.

Unfortunately, AAA no longer puts out the Camping books. When I asked, they pointed to the Woodall's directories, for sale in their bookstore. It's a shame, because the camp books used to have all the USFS, National Park, and state park campgrounds, while Woodall's and (back then) Trailer Life directories were hit-and-miss when it came to the sites that focused on tent camping.

Donna

Default Work on your itinerary first.

There are no shortage of RV sites/campgrounds so don't worry too much about it at this stage, I would recommend you first research where you want to go, 4 weeks is a nice amount of time to explore, and then concentrate on finding suitable campground's. I have never used a guide to do this, I have just searched the areas I plan to stay. You don't say when you plan to travel, but during the peak season near popular places you really need to book well in advance, especially the National parks. Our RV trips are all about staying in the National and State parks etc and then private campgrounds as an option, we steer clear of KOA and other chain campgrounds that start to look alike. So first work on your route as there are thousands of options [we can help you with that as you get the basics sorted] and go from there.

5. Default

Thank you Dave,

We are picking the RV up at Minneapolis, Minnesota on Monday 16th May next year at noon, so we expect to be on our way by 3:00 p.m. Our first hurdle will be finding somewhere to stay that same evening. We then head off due south, arriving Houston on Saturday 11th June. We have never been to the USA before, so are simply looking at doing real American things, seeing the sights, eating the way Americans do and generally enjoying ourselves. I'd think we'd like to drive for, say, 2 hours each day, see some local attraction, find a meal and then the RV camp ground for the night. Any help or suggestions would be most welcome Dave.

Thanks,
    Philip

Default Take a good look.

I presume you would have already spent a night in the USA prior to collecting the RV as that is a requirement. To drive from Minneapolis to Houston could be done in a couple of long days so as I touched on before, you need to do a little research on what it is that interests you and where you want to go. You will find "real American things" around every corner, you will be in America after all. ;-)

I would suggest you do some searching around the forums and trip planning pages on this site, use the 'How to' guide in the tool bar above and use the maps as well. Getting good paper maps will also help you in your planning and give you are a much better idea of your options. They are also essential when travelling so the sooner you have them the better. Now I stay off Interstate as much as possible, as good as they are for covering distance you don't get to stumble across the small towns, lakes, forests, parks etc where you can stop and walk and enjoy lunch in the RV. The other thing I would suggest is that you look outside of the box, if you ant to head south because that's what you wanna do then great, but you have some amazing places either side of 'heading south'. Being from the UK myself I just love the Red rocks and desert scenery of Southern Utah and Arizona and getting there via Colorado is a real bonus, heck you could visit the Grand canyon with the time you have !! All this comes down to personal choice and that's where you have to make the first moves, once you have done so we can answer specific questions and offer alternatives, so do a little research and don't hesitate to ask questions along the way.

By the way, driving in the USA is a real pleasure compared to here in the UK, out of the main City's at least. We have just finished our latest RV trip where we completed 3500 miles in 16 days. It's not for everyone but I would look at building your stops around places of interest rather than after 2 hours or so. Some days you could drive 200-300 [4-6 hours] miles and then another day no miles for example. Take a good look at all your options, stick a few pins in the map and a route will start to form. I know it can be overwhelming first time but you have a lot of time for planning, enjoy it !

Default Maps will show you.

Do you have any good maps to help you plan this trip?

If you don't, and they are not available locally, you might consider purchasing a Rand McNally road atlas from the RTA store via the link below. If you order it now, you will have it in a couple of weeks. Then you will be able to see all the attractions and scenic routes available to you. You may even choose to do a detour, depending on your interests - besides those mentioned above.

If you head south from the twin cities to Houston, you will be only a 'short way from some spectacular country. But maybe that is not your focus. What made you choose these two cities.

As Dave mentioned, RV parks are easily found - States like Colorado are full of them.

Lifey

8. Default

Thank you Lifey. I'll take that on board.

Philip

9. Default

Thank you Dave. We will have been 5 days in the USA attending the wedding of our son to a Minneapolis gal :)

Thank you for your excellent advice. I'll take it all on board.

Philip

Default Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipHead View Post
    Thank you Dave. We will have been 5 days in the USA attending the wedding of our son to a Minneapolis gal :)
    Phillip, my very first trip to the US was for the wedding of my son to a lassy from the twin cities. You will be in for many more trips, especially once the grandchildren arrive. I try to visit mine every year (not very successfully), and take the opportunity each visit to do some road tripping while I am there. Just so long as I am with the family to help celebrate each grandchild's birthday.

In case you are interested, you will then be eligible to apply for a B1/B2 visa, which would allow you to stay for more than the 90 days.

I am now planning my eighth trip, and have covered close to 200000 miles across North America.

Lifey