Default Pacific Northwest 2 week family RV trip ideas?

Hello all,

This is my first post here. I'm hoping to get some advice on planning a 2 week RV trip with my family in June of 2016. We are a family of 5 including 2 girls(ages 14 and 13) and 1 boy(age 7). We have 2 weeks to do this trip. We'll be pulling our 25' travel trailer with our Toyota Tundra. I plan to leave within days of the kids getting out of school. We may start the trip in Pinecrest Lake, Ca for the first two days as its an annual tradition. Next we'd like to visit my parents in Red Bluff, Ca where we plan to leave our golden retriever in good hands. We'd like to bring him but feel that it would interfere with too many things like bike riding, eating out, etc. We'll spend 1 night there then head north on highway 5 into Oregon. From here the trip is up in the air and where I need everyone's help with suggestions on places to stay, things to see, things to do, etc. Our rough plan is to travel up the center of Oregon and Washington as far as Seattle, then return via a coastal route.

A little about us might help with suggestions. We love mountains, trees, and lakes and streams as opposed to open flat land, deserts, etc. We've been zip-lining and jet boating on a previous trip in Oregon in 2011. This time I think we'd like to do some more zip-lining as well as river rafting and maybe some motorized rentals at the dunes. My girls are at the age where their phones and I-pods are their life-lines. I hope to keep them so occupied that they don't even think about them, but I realize that I may need to let them catch up with social media from time to time when we get some down time. My daughters are at the age where the boys are starting to take notice in them and they seem to want to spend less and less time together as a family. I'm thinking this may be the last trip that they will be willing to do with old mom and pop for this many days so I want to make it one we'll all remember.

Okay, now you know what I'm looking to accomplish. Bring on all of your great ideas and experiences you are willing to share. Thanks in advance!

Default To Get You Started.

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

As much as I love Seattle, I can't say I have spent or seen a great deal of WA or OR However I thought this paragraph may help you get started.

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck
    Start with maps. Not GPS, not software, not Google, but real honest-to-god paper maps that show you your entire route, that you can mark up (and erase), that you can stick pins in, and that show something about the land you'll be driving through. Those are your essential tool in any RoadTrip planning process. Start by marking all the places you know you want to visit. Then connect the dots. Then look for more places of interest and scenic routes along the lines connecting the dots. Repeat until you've got as many sites and roads as you think you want.
    Lifey

Good tip. That might get the kids more excited about the trip if they can see where we're going.

Default A lot of choices.

We have recently completed an RV trip in this area and I will be starting a detailed write up soon in the Roadtrip field reports section. Some of the places we visited were Lassen Volcanic NP, Burney Falls, Crater Lake, Mt Hood, Columbia river Gorge, Mt St Helens, Mt Ranier, Olympic NP and many spots along the Oregon coast heading south into California and the Redwoods. There is much, much more to see and do so I would do your research as a family and when you have got a few basic ideas down we can help you fill in the blanks and make suggestions.

Ashland, OR is worth a stop - and not far off the path from Mt. Lassen. No trip to Oregon should exclude Crater Lake and the Umpqua National Forest. Those are easily accessible from the Lassen Natl Park. Ashland has the Oregon Shakespeare Festival that runs from Feb to Nov. There is also the Willamette Valley (wonderful wines) and up to Portland. A really cool stop after Portland is Astoria, OR right across the Columbia River from Washington State. This is where the Lewis & Clark Expedition had it's Pacific end. You could then take 101 up to the Olympic National Forest and then into Seattle.

Default Good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    We have recently completed an RV trip in this area and I will be starting a detailed write up soon in the Roadtrip field reports section. Some of the places we visited were Lassen Volcanic NP, Burney Falls, Crater Lake, Mt Hood, Columbia river Gorge, Mt St Helens, Mt Ranier, Olympic NP and many spots along the Oregon coast heading south into California and the Redwoods. There is much, much more to see and do so I would do your research as a family and when you have got a few basic ideas down we can help you fill in the blanks and make suggestions.

I'm looking forward to your write-up Dave to narrow down(or expand) on our itinerary.

Not sure the kids(or myself) would be too interested in the Shakespeare Festival, but who knows? Definitely want to see Crater Lake and the Umpqua National Forest. We're not wine drinkers so I'm wondering if the Willamette Valley would be wasted on us? Will probably include Astoria on our travels and I hear the Olympic National Forest is not to be missed. Thanks!

I've been in the Pacific Northwest in a tent, then with a travel trailer and with a 5W; several different trips. Here are some places we really enjoyed:

Crater Lake
    Rogue River
    Three Sisters area
    Mt St Helens
    Mt Rainier
    Olympic National PARK
    Columbia River Valley

Astoria is on our Bucket List of places to visit - anything related to Lewis & Clark, actually.

Donna