Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default seattle to Raleigh nc rd trip last week of October

We are moving to NC the last week of October. We will be travelling in a 20' uhaul truck and towing our car. Is there any chance we will encounter snow during that time going the Montana route? About how much should we budget for gas? Also any ideas how long it would take to get there driving about 8 to 10 hour a day? Any input will be very much appreciated.

Default Rough guide.

and welcome to the RTA forums !

There is a chance you could encounter snow but there is just no way of getting a more accurate forecast until a few days before you travel and during your trip. Even then things can change quite quickly, the good news is that Interstates are a priority to keep clear and traffic moving. At the bottom of this page you will find the fuell cost calculator to the right hand side but first you need to know what sort of mpg you are likely to get from your rental, keep in mind the rental companies estimates are usually optimistic. A 20ft truck doing 10mpg with an average cost of $3:20 would put you in the $900 plus bracket as a ball park figure. To complete the journey you would need 6 full days without disruption so it would be worth keeping a 'spare' just in case.

Safe travels !

Default Rough guide.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

There is a chance you could encounter snow but there is just no way of getting a more accurate forecast until a few days before you travel and during your trip. Even then things can change quite quickly, the good news is that Interstates are a priority to keep clear and traffic moving. At the bottom of this page you will find the fuell cost calculator to the right hand side but first you need to know what sort of mpg you are likely to get from your rental, keep in mind the rental companies estimates are usually optimistic. A 20ft truck doing 10mpg with an average cost of $3:20 would put you in the $900 plus bracket as a ball park figure. To complete the journey you would need 6 full days without disruption so it would be worth keeping a 'spare' just in case.

Safe travels !

Default The weather will do what it does.

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

This being a journey of almost 3000 miles, you would be looking at six days of solid driving.

As with all driving at this time of the year, there is no way of knowing this far ahead what the weather will be. Keep an eye on the long range forecast a few days before you leave. Depending on the forecast, you will know what route to choose. None-the-less, it is always advisable to have a day up your sleeve, so you can sit out a storm, should one catch up with you.

On the blue bar below you will see a Fuel Cost Calculator to help you budget for fuel.

Have a safe trip.

Lifey

Default Welcome to North Carolina!

Raleigh native and lifelong resident here. Welcome.

I wouldn't be worried about snow at this point in time. Most likely any snow would be encountered at the small handful of passes, of which there are 5 including Snoqualmie, and the snow event would be of brief duration. Such would allow you to simply wait it out for a matter of hours until the plows have made a few trips over the pass, and you're good to go.

I find it useful to think of multi-day cross country travel times in the context of miles per hour incorporated within a "beginning to end of day" formula which takes into account the driving itself and all stops. In a rental truck towing a car, your speed will be fairly slow. You'll want and need regular stops for fuel and for rejuvenating breaks from the "handful" of piloting a large vehicle. I'd expect your beginning to end of day pace to be not more than 50 mph, and more likely 46-48 mph. By way of example, I completed a Raleigh to western Montana round-trip in July/August, in a fullsize pickup towing a small-ish pop-up camper. On the open road days during which we had few sightseeing stops, we ran 56-58 mph from start to finish of the day. That required "bunching" stops for fuel, bathroom breaks, and food, and mostly required that we run 70-72 mph while under way, pretty much at the upper end of the range of speeds at which I'm willing to run while towing. All of that said, you can figure on 9 hours/day x 50 mph = 450 miles/day to be the fastest pace, and it may very well be 45 mph x 9 hours = 405 miles/day.

I rather suspect your fuel consumption will be somewhat worse than 10 mpg. If you get > perhaps 8 mpg, I'd be happy.

Safe travels!

Foy

As said above, there's really no telling what the weather will be until just before each section of the trip. If you have a smartphone, keep up with the weather each day. If not, either check a computer/laptop each evening as you are relaxing in a motel, or watch The Weather Channel. (I've never been in a motel that didn't have one of the two big weather channels on its cable lineup.)

My husband took a 17 ft U-Haul halfway across country, about 4 years ago, in October. He experienced headwinds, which can be absolutely miserable on your fuel mileage, but no snow.During that section, he felt lucky to get about 6 mpg. The rest of the time, it was closer to 8 mpg. (I took his receipts and the approximate mileages to figure those out, after the trip, but it would have been more accurate if he had done them while on the trip.)

Donna

The specific route I'd recommend is:

I-90 to Sioux Falls
    I-29 to KC, using I-435 around the NE side
    I-70 to STL, taking I-64 through the city
    I-64 to I-57 to I-24 to Nashville, taking TN-155 (Briley Pkwy) around downtown
    I-40 to Raleigh

This avoids all tolls, non-Interstates, and the worst metro areas for traffic (specifically Chicago).

Plan for overnights around:

Missoula or Butte MT
    Buffalo or Gillette WY
    Sioux Falls SD
    Columbia MO
    Cookeville TN

Default Other factors.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    The specific route I'd recommend is:

I-90 to Sioux Falls
    I-29 to KC, using I-435 around the NE side
    I-70 to STL, taking I-64 through the city
    I-64 to I-57 to I-24 to Nashville, taking TN-155 (Briley Pkwy) around downtown
    I-40 to Raleigh

This avoids all tolls, non-Interstates, and the worst metro areas for traffic (specifically Chicago).
    Whereas glc is known to advice excellent routes - I have followed many - it is still weather dependent. Be sure to check each morning.

Plan for overnights around:

Missoula or Butte MT
    Buffalo or Gillette WY
    Sioux Falls SD
    Columbia MO
    Cookeville TN
    That too is totally dependent on whether you actually manage to cover 500 miles each day. Don't be tempted to push on, especially early in the trip. Once you become tired there is no way to overcome it till you get to Raleigh. Be sure to start well rested every morning, lest fatigue should creep up on you.

Lifey

Columbia MO and Cookeville TN are both college towns. Make sure you're not hitting one during a weekend, especially a Homecoming Weekend. (Columbia is home to U Missouri Columbia i.e. Mizzou, Stephens College, and William Woods at Fulton isn't too far off. Cookeville is home to TN Tech Univ.) BTW, we've stayed in Cookeville, at America's Best Value Inn. Those are known for being older properties that offer basic accommodations at a reasonable price, and that's what we got. The continental breakfast was just coffee, sweet rolls, and a couple of dry cereals. I've stayed in Columbia on many occasions, but only at Hotel del Familia. :-)

Donna

10. Default

Great, thanks so much to everyone for the replies.