Default Bucket List Trip on US Route 30

Hi All,
    I'm new to this forum so if my thread was posted by someone else before, please excuse me. My dream trip, as mentioned, begins on Virginia Ave., Atlantic City, NJ and ends in Astoria, Or. Has anyone else driven this yet? I would sure like to get some good info on what to expect (tricky spots?) and what to visit. I am not referring to strictly Lincoln Hwy because that begins and ends in two other locations although Rte 30 and LH do overlap in some areas. My wife and I may not be realizing this trip for 3 years or so, but I want to start planning.
    I started looking at travelers bureaus in the various states 30 goes through, but they aren't very helpful.
    Any advice from you hardened travelers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks much!

Welcome to RTA!

Be aware that US-30, in the suburbs of Chicago, is one stop light after another from long before the IN/IL state line until you get to the northwestern side of Joliet, unless they've changed things in the past few years. Same issue in the Fort Wayne, IN area.

Are you a member of AAA? You might want to get some good maps from them, if you are.

Donna

Default Some Thoughts on US-30

As with any RoadTrip based on following a single route wherever it goes, there can be some significant good and bad points. If my memory serves, National Geographic ran a series of articles back in the '50s doing just what you're proposing but following a number of different routes. I remember the ones on US-1 and US-40 because both passed by my home at the time. I don't know that they did one on US-30, but it might be worth some time poking around the net to see what you can find.

Update: My memory was a bit off, The National Geographic article on US-40 (60 pages!) appeared in 1961. - AZBuck

As Donna points out, US highways usually went directly through larger cities and that can be a problem if you really intend to follow US-30. Besides Chicago, other problem spots would include Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. Some smaller cities along the way, such as Fort Wayne, Cheyenne and others could actually prove interesting and worth the slower speeds. On the other hand US-30 is duplexed with Interstates occasionally or has been upgraded to near-freeway quality, so it won't all be a slog.

Anyway, assuming you do go through with it, there are several noteworthy sites that you should consider including on your journey. These are all either right on US-30, or within a very short detour. Since you're trip is well in the future and you're just looking for ideas, this will be little more than a list: Valley Forge National Historical Park, Gettysburg National Military Park, Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, Oregon National Historic Trail, Bruneau Dunes State Park, Historic Columbia River Highway, Fort Clatsop National Memorial.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 10-05-2015 at 10:12 PM.

Default It's in the Field Reports.

Quote Originally Posted by Travelin' Terry View Post
    Has anyone else driven this yet?
    There is a member here who has driven, and written a report on US30 - Lincoln Highway. It was done in three lots, the western end, the eastern end and the middle. It is all in the Field Report Forum.

Unfortunately, I cannot recall who it was, nor find the reports. But someone may recall.... or you may find it. It was a few years ago.

Lifey

I don't recall anyone specifically doing a US-30 end to end trip - which doesn't mean there isn't one, it just means I don't remember it (I prefer to pick roads that go to the destinations I want to see, rather than limit myself to one specific route, but again, that's my taste.). We have had a few people report on US-50 trips, as that one seems to be pretty popular.

Because a good chunk of US-30 is also the Lincoln Highway, there are some resources there you might want to check out. Brian Butko's books on the Lincoln Highway would be an excellent read. RTA's own Peter Thody has also written about several sections of the highway.

I also wouldn't discount the state tourism departments. While you might not be finding much in your initial search, if you contact them about what you are specifically looking for, they may be able to provide you a wealth of information.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    Welcome to RTA!

Be aware that US-30, in the suburbs of Chicago, is one stop light after another from long before the IN/IL state line until you get to the northwestern side of Joliet, unless they've changed things in the past few years. Same issue in the Fort Wayne, IN area.

Are you a member of AAA? You might want to get some good maps from them, if you are.

Donna
    We're not really concerned about traffic lights, etc. The trip is to drive 30 no matter what. Thank you for your input. We are AAA members and already got the maps of each state plus a USA map (forgot the Tour Books). I have also spoken to our AAA regional manager and he called to have Trip Tiks made. At least that's what they're supposed to be doing. It's been awhile since we heard from them.
    I have highlighted the route on the maps awhile, but in some spots it's difficult to follow because A. the lines are so small i can't follow them and B. It does merge with other highways in many places. That's what I meant by "tricky spots" in my original post.

Thank you for the tip. I tried looking for it, but came up empty. I would love hear their perspective. We'll be doing it reverse.

Thank you for your thoughts. We actually live about 18 miles from Lancaster and York, PA and Gettysburg is an hour away. 30 through York is a pain because of traffic signals and a 40 mph speed limit, but at least it's 4-lane. Lancaster can be a pain also especially through the tourist trap area. We try to avoid it during the summer.
    I am looking at your list of stops and appreciate them. Will definitely keep them in mind.

Default It's easy to follow the signs.

Quote Originally Posted by Travelin' Terry View Post
    A. the lines are so small i can't follow them and B. It does merge with other highways in many places. That's what I meant by "tricky spots" in my original post.
    In reality, they are not likely to be so tricky when you are on the road. The signs will still show US-30 even where it merges with other highways. It is trickier in the cities to stay on the route, though through Chicago it is well signed.

The thing is, if you are working from maps, and take those maps with you, you are not likely to stray far from the route.

A year or two ago when I drove from Ft Wayne to Joliet and further, light snow was falling the whole way. Like you, the traffic lights don't particularly worry me. Extra time to take in one's surroundings.

Lifey