1. Default Trip to Death Valley

Hello Members,

I am planning a trip next weekend for DeathValley from Phoenix, planning to go through Grand Canyon South Rim, Las Vegas, Death Valley (the famous Racetrack Playa), and on the way back to Page AZ for Antelope Canyons.

Have thought about two routes,

Option 1
    Oct 10 - Starting Phoenix -> Grand Canyon (South Rim) -> Drive to Death Valley (reach by late evening/night)
    Oct 11 - Death Valley (Need more details on what are the most visited spots and do it in a Day until dusk.) -> Drive to Vegas late evening/Night
    Oct 12 - Start from Vegas -> Page/Antelope Canyons -> Late Night arrival in Phoenix

Option 2

Oct 10 - Starting Phoenix -> Grand Canyon (South Rim) -> Las Vegas (reach by late evening/night)
    Oct 11 - Las Vegas - Death Valley (Need more details on what are the most visited spots and do it in a Day until dusk.)
    Oct 12 - Start from DeathValley -> Page/Antelope Canyons -> Late Night arrival in Phoenix

Any other options or any other suggestions ?? Thanks in Advance..!

Thanks,
    MV

Welcome to RTA!

Neither option looks good with the time you have available. With only 3 days, you only have time to go directly to Death Valley, explore it, and return.

Default My thoughts precisely.

There is no good option to do what you want to do. What made you think you can drive from Phoenix via the Grand Canyon to Death Valley in one day. It takes at least a day, or the best part of it to get to see and appreciate the Grand Canyon. With the restricted speed limits in National Parks, you can't even quickly drive through it.

As above, you might have time to see something of one of your destinations.

Lifey

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Welcome to RTA!

Neither option looks good with the time you have available. With only 3 days, you only have time to go directly to Death Valley, explore it, and return.
    Thanks for replying,

I agree - some of my friends want to do different stuff ;) , so what do you suggest ? Just go to death-valley from Phoenix - around 7 hour of drive.. And explore some on the day we reach and the racetrack the next day ?

Also, what do you highly recommend to visit in DV?

5. Default

@lifemagician

I understand what you are saying,

the idea was

Leave Early from PHX --> Reach GC by 10-10:30 am - Leave GC by 3:00 --> Reach DV by 11 PM

I think this is unrealistic, but its a lot of drive, given that we are 3-4 drivers thought this would be alright, again what do you recommend

In Death Valley, I enjoyed the usual things: Zabriskie Point (for views), Badwater Basin (lowest elevation in the US), the Artist's Drive (a one-way detour that takes you through amazingly colorful rock formations), and the sand dunes. We stayed for one night. All of Death Valley is extremely beautiful, and peaceful.

Also, the Golden Canyon trail (in DV) is very beautiful - don't attempt it if it's too hot though. (I walked it in May and towards the end was pretty uncomfortable...)

As others have pointed out, you don't have enough time to do everything on this trip (unless you can make it longer). If you wanted to visit Antelope Canyon, note that you have to go on a Navajo-led tour, which are not cheap. You can't just turn up and explore yourself.

Have a good trip!

Subman

If I were you, I'd drive to DV, spend the next day there, and then drive back the following day. I think you're being completely unrealistic on how much you can actually do in a day. Planning to get up before dawn, then drive until midnight is not a realistic plan no matter how many drivers you have, and that's what you'd have to do to complete either of the options you came up with.

If you insist on checking a box to stay you've been to the Grand Canyon, I suppose you could go from Phoenix to GC and then onto Vegas for the night - but you'll have so little time available at the Grand Canyon, you'll be completely fooling yourself if you think that will give you enough time to "see it." You will have been to the Grand Canyon, you might even peak over the edge, but you certainly will not have seen the Grand Canyon, which includes dozens of different viewpoints spread over several miles, all that offer something different.

Even if you do that, you'll still have to drive directly back to Phx from Death Valley. Antelope Canyon isn't a possibility at all on this timeline - there's not enough hours in the weekend to make it work.