Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Salt Lake City to Vegas

Hey! I am planning, with two friends, a trip on the next summer from Salt Lake to Vegas... Well it sounds short, but here is the full track:
    https://goo.gl/pDeQlC

I am from Israel, so I am planning to fly from Tel Aviv to Salt Lake City (No direct flights so will have a stop or 2...) and then go to Yellowstone for about 2 days. After that, Drive to Yosemite and stay there for about 2 days and then go to San Francisco, and down on the 1 to LA via Monterey. After LA I will visit Phoenix, Sedona, Flagstaff and Grand Canyon.
    The planned end point is Vegas.

I am planning to rent a Toyota Corolla and drive all this long way. My main questions are, we are 3 young people, so camping along the road is no problem. Are there any places along the main road we can camp? Off course we will go for some motels but we wanna save some money when we can.

The second question is, is there a more efficent track for this trip?

Thanks in advance!

Default Sounds like an adventure!

Welcome to the trip planning forums! How long will the entire adventure be?

From Salt Lake City, I would recommend traveling on US-89 (instead of I-15) much more scenic (cross over at Logan) and then north to US-26 to Grand Teton National Park and then into Yellowstone. I did the reverse of this trip in July.

We can offer additional suggestions, but it would be helpful knowing your budget, total trip period and your top priorities -- scenic beauty, great bars, shopping, etc.

Mark

3. Default

I am planning to travel for 35 days. My budget is around 5000-6000$. And my top priorities will be all the things you mentioned: scenic beauty, great bars and shopping :-)
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 09-27-2015 at 06:58 AM. Reason: in-line quote not needed here

Default camping etc

Quote Originally Posted by bar_rodoy View Post

I am planning to rent a Toyota Corolla and drive all this long way. My main questions are, we are 3 young people, so camping along the road is no problem. Are there any places along the main road we can camp? Off course we will go for some motels but we wanna save some money when we can.!
    The places you can camp are called campgrounds. That's really your only option. There are no places in the US where is it legal or safe to just pull off the side of the road and set up camp. There are some place to camp for free, but they are not off the main roads. Still, camping can be a great way to save money, especially while in National Parks. Just keep in mind, National Park campgrounds can fill up quickly, and you would be wise to make reservations at the very busy parks, like Yellowstone, Yosemite, and the Grand Canyon.

The second question is, is there a more efficent track for this trip?
    A more cost effective way to do this trip would be to start and end in the same city. Essentially, closing the loop and continuing from Vegas back to Salt Lake City. That alone could save you hundreds of dollars on your car rental by avoiding a one way fee - also keep in mind, you could be facing a significant underage fee if you are under 25. Also, by doing a loop, you could start or end anywhere on the loop based on where you get the best prices. So for example, if it is cheaper for airfare and car rental out of San Francisco, you could fly there instead of SLC, and just adjust your trip so you're going to SLC in the middle, instead of the beginning. You could do similar price comparisons with Los Angeles and Las Vegas, which might end up saving you a bunch of money.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    The places you can camp are called campgrounds. That's really your only option. There are no places in the US where is it legal or safe to just pull off the side of the road and set up camp. There are some place to camp for free, but they are not off the main roads. Still, camping can be a great way to save money, especially while in National Parks. Just keep in mind, National Park campgrounds can fill up quickly, and you would be wise to make reservations at the very busy parks, like Yellowstone, Yosemite, and the Grand Canyon.

A more cost effective way to do this trip would be to start and end in the same city. Essentially, closing the loop and continuing from Vegas back to Salt Lake City. That alone could save you hundreds of dollars on your car rental by avoiding a one way fee - also keep in mind, you could be facing a significant underage fee if you are under 25. Also, by doing a loop, you could start or end anywhere on the loop based on where you get the best prices. So for example, if it is cheaper for airfare and car rental out of San Francisco, you could fly there instead of SLC, and just adjust your trip so you're going to SLC in the middle, instead of the beginning. You could do similar price comparisons with Los Angeles and Las Vegas, which might end up saving you a bunch of money.
    Thanks for the comments!!

As you suggested, I will close the loop. I will probably start at LA, where the flights are the cheapest.

6. Default West coast

Hey. Thats my plan for a west coast trip:
    https://goo.gl/VvlHcc

The plan is to land at LA and then drive to Yosemite and San Francisco and from San Francisco take a flight to SLC...

How mant days do you suggest to visit Yosemite, Yellowstone and Grand Canyon? We are 3 yound guys, we are planning to camp in the parks... The whole trip should take about 33 days..

Thanks!

I have merged your threads as I am presuming it is the same trip taking a different approach ?
    Your link isn't working for me but it's much easier for everyone to follow if you post your itinerary in this thread. The advice offered previously about doing a loop trip is still worth considering, dropping different cars off and taking flights through the trip is going to be costly and with 33/35 days you have time to make this a fun road trip.

How long you should stay in each park is really up to you, but if you want to enjoy them I would recommend 1.5 to 2 days at the Grand canyon, 2-3 days in Yosemite and 3-4 days in Yellowstone, but you could spend more or less. A loop from LA could have you first visit the Grand canyon and then head north through Southern Utah where there are more wonderful parks. Then up towards Yellowstone via the Tetons before heading towards SLC, Yosemite, San Fran and back to LA down the coast around Big Sur. Heading south has the advantage of the Ocean being on your side of the road.

I would look at some good maps and lay out your plans and then ask about any specific questions you may have. If you 'young guys' are under 25 years of age you could be looking at significant young driver fees on your rental and that will be for each of you that wish to drive.

8. Default

Thanks for the comment... The ride from San Francsico to Salt Lake will cost us with about 2 days, So I thought maybe fly from SFO to SLC, that gonna be like about 100 USD.

As for young driver fee, we are all under 25, so any one of us will have to pay young driver fee sepretly?

It's not just the cost of flying, it means you will be picking up at least 2 rental cars which will both incur one way drop off fees. Dropping the car back at the same place you picked it up from will be much cheaper. Plus you get to see much more from the road than you do the air. And yes, each chosen driver under 25 years of age will have to pay any fees for young drivers. It's best to check what is and isn't included in a rental before committing to it, they all show you the 'highlight' figure, make sure you know the bottom line.

Default And Yet Another Expense

While the underage driver fee for each driver will be significant, don't overlook the fact that simply having everybody eligible to drive will also add to the expense. The price quoted when you do a search for rental car prices will be for one 'standard' adult (25-70ish) driver. Each additional driver will cost more - and they are charged on a per day basis for the entire rental period! Each of the drivers, primary and additional, who is under 25 will also be charged the underage fee - again on a per day basis for the entire trip. This is going to be one very expensive rental if you have three drivers, all under 25.

AZBuck