1. Default Year Long Road Trip

Hello,

I am planning a road trip to explore the 52 best small cities in America. I plan on spending a week in each city. During the trip, I will interview residents, explore the city's layout, and get a good indication as to why the city is a great place. I have selected the best cities based upon rankings from Livability.com.

In addition, I will be staying unique hotels around the country to fulfill a desire to see what makes great hotels in America, especially family friendly ones. I am working to start my own hotel chain and hope to get ideas from the trip.

Personally, I am not a cold weather person. I live in Orlando, Florida and many of the cities I plan to visit are in the Midwest, Northeast, and Northwest. Would anyone have a better route to take in order to maximize warm weather in each region? For example, I would prefer to be in North Dakota in July rather than in January. I am very flexible in when I can start the trip and figured I should start in the winter so it is summer once I get to the Midwest. I know it will be inevitable to eventually be in cold weather but I would like to minimize it.

Here is a link to the route I plan on taking: https://www.myscenicdrives.com/road-...b-1a6dd53622db

If you scroll about halfway down the page, a map that gives an overview of the trip is viewable.

I would appreciate any advice you can offer.

Thank you!

Rv4life

Default Limits

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

There are limits to what we can do to help people. Typically, the more they know already what they want to do, the longer the trip, and the more planned out it is, the less we can do. Your itinerary meets all three of those criteria. To be honest, no one is going to read through a 100 page itinerary to see what you have planned. I scrolled through but saw no map. If you have some bite-sized questions, we'd be more than happy to try to help you, but as it is I have no idea what to tell you.

AZBuck

Default Same here.

I scrolled all the way to the end, and did not see a map. Did not read any of it either.

Lifey

I just saw a little question in my head: when I first saw the thread title (Year Long Road Trip) under a moniker "rv4life", my first thought was, oh, somebody is retiring and planning to be a "full timer" in an RV. So then reading the post and seeing a year of hotels, didn't make sense at first.

But I didn't see a map, and scrolling through 365 days of trip plans wasn't in my reading plans either.

Donna

I did find the map - buried in the middle - but as with the others, I didn't have the time, nor the energy, to go through that novel-length mass of data. Asking people to go to another website to see your plan is already a big request, and while that format might be helpful for your planning, the info really ends up meaning nothing to anyone else.

It sounds like you've got an interesting concept of a trip, but I'm not sure what else to say.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    I did find the map - buried in the middle - but as with the others, I didn't have the time, nor the energy, to go through that novel-length mass of data. Asking people to go to another website to see your plan is already a big request, and while that format might be helpful for your planning, the info really ends up meaning nothing to anyone else.

It sounds like you've got an interesting concept of a trip, but I'm not sure what else to say.

Thanks for the message. Sorry about the confusion. This trip is a long term dream I am developing. I hope to complete this trip something within the next ten years. I have a potential investor for a hotel concept who may be willing to fund this trip to complete some research on unique lodging in the hotel industry, in addition to exploring some of the best cities in America.

Unfortunately the program I created to map out the trip is difficult to share.

Below is an itemized list of the cities I plan on visiting in their current order. Orlando, FL is the starting and ending location. I am trying to figure out if the current order of cities is efficient and is the best way to avoid cold weather. The places listed as "Stay at" are hotel's between the cities and only for one night while each city location is for 7 nights.

1. Orlando, FL
    2. Stay at Cloister at Sea Island
    3. Stay at The Sea Pines Resort
    4. Stay at The Inn at Palmetto Bluff
    5. Stay at Kiawah Island Golf Resort
    6. Greenville, SC
    7. Asheville, NC
    8. Chapel Hill, NC
    9. Charlottesville, VA
    10. Arlington, VA
    11. Rockville, MD
    12. Stay at Mohonk Mountain House
    13. Stay at Ocean House
    14. Stay at Chatham Bars Inn
    15. Newton, MA
    16. Stay at the Sagamore Resort
    17. Visit family in Geneseo
    18. Ann Arbor, MI
    19. Stay at Grand Hotel
    20. Driving down Lake Michigan
    21. Downers Grove, IL
    22. Madison, WI
    23. Iowa City, IA
    24. Ames, IA
    25. Sioux Falls, SD
    26. Rochester, MN
    27. Edina, MN
    28. Fargo, ND
    29. Grand Forks, ND
    30. Aberdeen, SD
    31. Bismarck, ND
    32. Rapid City, SD
    33. Billings, MT
    34. Bozeman, MT
    35. Missoula, MT
    36. Boise, ID
    37. Kirkland, WA
    38. Bellevue, WA
    39. Olympia, WA
    40. Corvallis, OR
    41. Ashland, OR
    42. Reno, NV
    43. Davis, CA
    44. Walnut Creek, CA
    45. Stay at Cavallo Point Lodge
    46. San Mateo, CA
    47. Menlo Park, CA
    48. Palo Alto, CA
    49. Santa Cruz, CA
    50. San Luis Obispo, CA
    51. Santa Barbara, CA
    35. Missoula, MT
    36. Boise, ID
    37. Kirkland, WA
    38. Bellevue, WA
    39. Olympia, WA
    40. Corvallis, OR
    41. Ashland, OR
    42. Reno, NV
    43. Davis, CA
    44. Walnut Creek, CA
    45. Stay at Cavallo Point Lodge
    46. San Mateo, CA
    47. Menlo Park, CA
    48. Palo Alto, CA
    49. Santa Cruz, CA
    50. San Luis Obispo, CA
    51. Santa Barbara, CA
    52. Ventura, CA
    53. Irvine, CA
    54. Stay at St. Regis Monarch Beach
    55. Scottsdale, AZ
    56. Littleton, CO
    57. Lakewood, CO
    58. Lafayette, CO
    59. Boulder, CO
    60. Longmont, CO
    61. Loveland, CO
    62. Fort Collins, CO
    63. Lincoln, NE
    64. Manhattan, KS
    65. Overland Park, KS
    66. Columbia, MO
    67. Sarasota, FL
    68. Orlando, FL

Trip Facts:
    • 397 day trip (Includes the 52 cities, staying at family friendly hotels, a week in my hometown, and overnight stops between the cities)
    • 12,420 miles
    • Approximately 202 hours 14 minutes of driving

Thank you again for any help you can offer!

Rv4life

7. Default

We are honored to be a part of the itinerary! Hoping you set out on this journey soon.

Best,
    The team at the St. Regis Monarch Beach

8. Default

Thanks for the good wishes. How did you find this post? I truly hope to complete this trip someday soon. Just need to find the money in order to do so. I am currently a college student but hope to do this soon after I graduate. Thanks again.

Shane