1. Default Chicago to Portland

Hey all, apologies for resurrecting the thread. I'm planning the same drive, Chicago to Portland area (Salem) in a few weeks. Likely renting a car/mini van. I've got two questions for the road-trippers here:
    1) I can handle driving up/down grade, though I don't really like mountain driving and haven't done it in years. It sounds like northern route is preferable then for October?

2) What type of interstates are we talking for both routes on the mountainy areas? 2 lanes each direction? 3?

I get a little nervous at anything hugging a mountain with a sheer drop, in general. But if it's just elevation, up/down without a very immediate threat of falling off the side, I'm fine.

Moderator Note: We thank you for looking at other discussions before posting, but we prefer to give each trip its own thread.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 09-24-2015 at 04:31 AM. Reason: Moved post to its own thread

Default In that case you'll be fine.

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

If you were to take I-90 to I-84 you will be on roads which are two and three lanes each way. From memory, having driven most of this route a number of times, there is no where where you look straight down a mountain side. At times you are not even aware that you are going up hill, so gentle are the slopes.

At no time will you be hugging a mountain with a sheer drop off. Relax and enjoy the journey. Get hold of some good maps, AAA or Rand McNally, and see just how much there is to do and see along this route. Even the wide open spaces of MT have a beauty all their own.

Lifey

3. Default

Thanks so much. I appreciate the advice :)

If you were to take I-90 to I-84
    Specifically - I-90 to US-395 to I-82 to I-84.

Default Not sure.

You might like to check, but I think that 395 is not a divided road with multiple lanes each way.

Lifey

395 is Interstate-quality all the way from I-90 to Kennewick. You do have to drive through downtown Kennewick to get to I-82, but it's multi-lane with traffic lights and only about a 5 mile stretch. You can avoid downtown Kennewick by taking I-182 to I-82, but it adds too many miles to be worth it. Kennewick would make a good stop for fuel, food, etc. anyway.