Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default *2 week family summer road trip* HELP!

I am currently in the process of planning a road trip for my large family (5 kids). We really enjoy the outdoors, so we wanted to go to some national parks and make this a big road trip! We would be renting an RV so we have that covered. The trip planned is for two weeks~. We also are planning on camping in the RV at the national parks planned.

TRIP PLAN-Rough draft
    Day 1. Drive to Rocky Mountain national park from DFW. --Questions 1. What route should I take? Through NM or OK/KS? 2. Should we drive all in 1 day or take 2 days?

Day 2.(If taking 1 day drive) Explore Rocky Mountain National Park.

Day 3. Drive to Yellowstone National Park.
    Days 4-6 Fun at Yellowstone.

Day 7. Grand Teton
    Day 8. Grand Teton

Day 9. Drive to Arches national park
    Day 10. Explore Arches
    Day 11. Drive and explore Zion national park
    Day 12. Zion national park
    Day 13. Grand Canyon
    Day 14. Grand Canyon
    Day 15. Back to DFW. Question 1. Should we take two days to drive back?--If so should we take Route 66 back to Amarillo?

Sorry if this road trip seems awkward to you. We could really use the help and would greatly appreciate and questions or suggestions! HELP!! XD.

Melbourne, Australia

Default The Basics.

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

Sounds like a great trip you are planning. Flying in from where? And which month? That could be important, since you will be picking up an RV.

Travelling in an RV is invariably slower than by car, and the larger the travelling party, the slower the trip. With that in mind, and looking at the distances, your first and second days travelling, will more than likely be four days in all. (Count on about 400 miles a day.) We loved travelling with our five children, and camping, but hurrying and great distances covered were not a comfortable holiday. It would also be good if we knew the ages of the children.

To get you started with your planning both for routes and stops, it would be really helpful if you got out some good detailed maps and followed the advice in this paragraph:-

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck
    Start with maps. Not GPS, not software, not Google, but real honest-to-god paper maps that show you your entire route, that you can mark up (and erase), that you can stick pins in, and that show something about the land you'll be driving through. Those are your essential tool in any RoadTrip planning process. Start by marking all the places you know you want to visit. Then connect the dots. Then look for more places of interest and scenic routes along the lines connecting the dots. Repeat until you've got as many sites and roads as you think you want.
    If good maps are not available locally, I suggest you purchase a Rand McNally road atlas from the RTA store via the link at the bottom of this page. Maps such as those have a wealth of information, including natural attractions, historical and touristy attractions. They also grade all roads and routes from high speed interstates to local roads and scenic routes. Good maps are invaluable while planning and essential when on the road. If you were to order it now, you will have it in a couple of weeks.

Your research on the places of interest will determine which route you take and where you decide to stay.

Enjoy the planning.

Tucson, AZ

Default Reality Check

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The distances you are contemplating driving are not only unrealistic, they will put your children's lives at risk. And even if you could complete them safely, would your children really enjoy being strapped into a box for three or four days at a time with only occasional breaks for food and water. Because that is what you have planned so far. It will take a full two days AT A MINIMUM to drive an RV from DFW to Rocky Mountain National Park. During all that time on the road, you and everyone in the RV will be required by law to be in a real seat with seat belts firmly secured. Then when you arrive at RMNP, you will have no time to enjoy it because it's another full day's drive to Yellowstone, again fully strapped in and with only minimal breaks for fuel and bathroom breaks. Similarly, the drive back from the Grand Canyon to DFW is at least a two and a half day drive in an RV.

I'm not sure where you're getting your driving time estimates from, but they clearly bear no resemblance to reality whatsoever. Even in a passenger car, and even at you outside estimates, they would be pushing the limits. In a lumbering RV, up and down mountain grades, with five children requiring multiple (and long - think herding cats to get them all back in the RV and strapped in) bathroom and R&R breaks, they are simply not sustainable. If I were going to try this, I would plan on making good no more than 400-450 miles a day under such conditions. That would also allow for a couple of half hour or so breaks at some of the many state and local parks you'll be passing to let the kids get out of their harnesses and run around a bit.

Only once you have realistically accounted for the amount of driving you have in front of you can you reliably plan on where you will be on any given night. And if you plan on staying in the national parks themselves, reservations - made well in advance - will be essential. I'd hate to see you miss out on a stay in a national park because you couldn't get there in time to honor your reservation, or even worse endanger your children by trying to drive too far too fast just to get there in time.

Green County, Wisconsin

Do you live in the DFW area or are you planning to fly there? Unless you live there, I can't quite see why you would use it as a starting point. As Buck has clearly stated, it is a very long way away from anything else you hope to see or do, and the drives will take significantly more time on the road than you are currently allowing in your plan.

If you're starting by flying, it would make far more sense to pick a more central location, like Salt Lake City, Denver, Las Vegas, or even Phoenix.

5. Default

First of all I would like to thank all of you for the advice. I am VERY new to the idea of a road trip and the reason I put the plan on a forum was for advice. THANKS SO MUCH!

Second, My kids ages will be 8, 11, 14, 16, and 17 on the date of departure. I am thinking June 2016 would be a good time. <--The reason I posted so early is because we are very busy and could use the advice as soon as possible. We DO live in DFW.

Changes to the plan:

1. I think we will fly in to Salt Lake City.

2. We will then go up to Yellowstone. We will not rush.

3. We will take two days to drive to Rocky Mountain national park.

4. We MIGHT add another day on to Rocky Mountain national park.

5. We will then take two days to drive to the Grand Canyon.

I think that this will make the trip ALOT better. I am very glad that I posted the trip to these forums as the trip PROBABLY would have been a complete disaster! If anyone has anymore tips/suggestions please let me know! During the drives we are planning on doing fun stuff along the way.

6. Default New schedule

Day 1. Fly to Salt Lake City

Day 2. Drive to Yellowstone National Park
    -Arrive around 11:30

Days 3-5. Yellowstone National Park

Day 6. Grand Teton National Park

Days 7-8. Drive to Rocky Mountain National Park

Day 9. RMNP

Days 10-11. Drive to Grand Canyon

Days 12-13. Grand Canyon

Day 14. Drive to Zion

Day 15. Zion

Day 16. Leave. On way back stop at Bryce Canyon.

Green County, Wisconsin

It's great to start planning early. Planning really can be half of the fun, and with such a large group, it will be extra helpful. All of your kids are at an age where they can and should be taking an active roll in the planning process - helping you decide where to focus your time.

If you can fly to SLC, that will save you a lot of time. Considering the costs of flying a family with 5 kids, I wouldn't blame you if you wanted to do an all-driving trip, and that would still be possible. However, you would really have to look at scaling back from your original plan, or add some more time to your trip.

8. Default

Ok! Thanks.

Another question. From Dallas/Ft. Worth area driving in an RV, what would be some good options for a 2 week road trip?

Green County, Wisconsin

Well, I think many of the options you're looking at right now would work, it would be a matter of making some choices and trimming some things out.

Personally, with 2 weeks, I would probably do a trip where you focus either the Grand Canyon and other parks in that area or focus on Yellowstone and the Tetons, hitting RMNP along the way.

Tucson, AZ

Default Less Driving - More Fun

The easiest answer to finding "some good options for a 2 week road trip" from the DFW area would be to simply figure out what's within an easy two day drive and has a lot of activities that your family would enjoy. That's why your initial plans weren't the best. Too much driving to get 'there', too much driving while 'there', and too much driving to get home. But there are many options that cut down considerably on the driving while still letting you see and experience some great outdoor sites.

Perhaps the simplest option is to just cut out the northern portion of your initial plans and concentrate on the national parks in (roughly) the Four Corners area. Parks visited could include Mesa Verde, Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, and Arches as well as many more national monuments and state parks. You could get into the 'area' as early as Santa Fe, less than 700 miles from DFW.

Another option might be the mid-Appalachians with a trip built around Great Smoky Mountains, Cumberland Gap, and Shenandoah National Parks, along with Mount Rogers National Recreation Area, the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive along with numerous Civil War sites and national forests. Knoxville TN would be you target for your two day drive into this area at around 850 miles.

You might also want to look at the Gulf and Atlantic Coasts. Major natural sites would include Gulf Islands National Seashore, Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge, Cumberland Island National Seashore, Canaveral National Seashore and Kennedy Space Center, and of course the usual mix of national forests and state parks. Mobile might work as your entry point - only 600 miles or so from home.

Finally, if you really want to get away from the heat, you could head north to the Great Lakes. This would be the longest drive, but if you started your 'adventures' on the upper Mississippi (Hannibal MO, Nauvoo IL, national wildlife refuges along the river, the Great River Road) you could then work your way up along the southern shore of Lake Superior (Apostle Islands National Lakeshore, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore) down the eastern shore of Lake Michigan (Mackinac Island State Park, Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore) and from there you'll again be within a two day drive of DFW.