1. Default Roadtrip with two young boys July - September 2016

I am new to the forum and decided to get a very early head start for our two month camping road trip across country..
    We as of this year live in a summer rental in Rhode Island and have a 10 month lease... We have to be out the summer months which my landlord rents the house as a summer home July 1- September 1.. She has made sure the lease ends a week after our boys summer begins and school ends so it is very convient how it worked out and will be able to come back to the same house just in time for school to start up again... My question is what kinda options or ideas could others suggest for a two month road trip coming from RI? The options I have are to purchase a pop up camper or quality tent and gear....I wish I could afford a reliable C Class camper but my budget is limited to $4000 for home on wheels all together.. I also have a budget for food, gas , campsite etc around $2000 a month.. Are there any great sites that map out the entire road trip? Or does anyone on here have some ideas of mapped out road trips they have been on with kids ? My boys are 8 yrs and 10 yrs old... Thanks for your time😀

Title altered at request of OP - Mod
    Last edited by AZBuck; 09-20-2015 at 08:09 AM.

Tucson, AZ

Default More Questions than Answers

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

First of all, congratulations! Your boys are just about the perfect age for a big RoadTrip, judging from my own childhood experience and more recent travels with my two grandsons. But 'where' is probably not the first question you should be asking. Because the answer to that is really up to you, not outsiders like us. So let's start with a few questions you should start with, and start by asking your boys.

Why: Besides the obvious reason that you have to be out of your home, why did the idea of a RoadTrip so appeal to you? What is it about this particular type of vacation appeals to you, to your boys?

Who: Are there people you'd like to see? Relatives, old friends that you or your boys haven't seen for a while that you'd like to catch up with? Are there different lifestyles that you'd like to sample or get to know better?

What: What kinds of things would you like to see/do on this trip. Are there historical sites that your boys are learning about in school? Are you beach people, outdoor types, urban explorers, amusement park junkies?

How: You're apparently leaning toward camping as your primary travel style, but is this something you have experience with? Can your boys do without creature comforts for two months? Are urban destinations, where a towed pop-up camper would be a significant hindrance, not on the agenda?

When: is defined as mid-summer which while it means that you can travel just about anywhere, it also means that some of those "anywheres" will be horribly crowded, or uncomfortably hot and muggy.

Two months is time enough to get comfortably to anywhere in the contiguous United States or southern Canada and you should keep that in mind as you try to work out the best itinerary for yourselves. What we generally recommend is that you get a good-sized wall map of the US and start having discussions amongst yourselves. Put a few big dots on the map as you all agree on sites that you think should definitely be included in your epic journey. Before too long, it almost inevitably becomes obvious where you'd like to go without any outside influence. At that point we can help fine tune your trip to help you make the most of it. But just telling you where to go and what to do is not best for you.

Last edited by AZBuck; 09-20-2015 at 10:08 AM.

Melbourne, Australia

Default More to get your planning on the way.

As and when you do these discussions with your boys, you might like to suggest to them, that they do the research on the places they would like to see. The 10 year old is no doubt computer savvy to do most of that work for you.

As Buck mentioned, a large wall map is the ideal beginning. Then it will also pay to get individual State maps or a Road Atlas. If you are a member of AAA you can get free maps there. Once you get started, you might also like to follow Buck's advice in the following paragraph:-

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck
    Start with maps. Not GPS, not software, not Google, but real honest-to-god paper maps that show you your entire route, that you can mark up (and erase), that you can stick pins in, and that show something about the land you'll be driving through. Those are your essential tool in any RoadTrip planning process. Start by marking all the places you know you want to visit. Then connect the dots. Then look for more places of interest and scenic routes along the lines connecting the dots. Repeat until you've got as many sites and roads as you think you want.
    To make this trip really memorable for the boys (and you), encourage your boys to keep a journal. This can start even during the planning stage, recording what suggestions and research they did. If you would like to know more about the details of the boys keeping a journal, why not speak with their teachers. Journals are a wonderful way to look back on the trip and 'relive' it in years to come. Of course it works best if they see you keeping one as well.

You may also like to check out this page.