1. Default Road trips from New york during winter

Hi Guys,

We will be arriving in New york on 21 Dec. Intend to travel somewhere near including boston. Another friend will be joining us on 28 Dec, so we will be back to pick her up.

22 Dec to 28 Dec - Somewhere plus boston?
    28 Dec to 30 Dec - Pick up from airport then proceed to washington. Why washington because i see nyc is in between boston and washington, so its can be sort of en-route to pick up the friend?

31 Dec to 7 Jan - back to nyc for countdown. And will spend the remaining times in NYC.

Will greatly appreciate if you can give me ideas on where we can go. so far we are pretty flexible but we definitely want a countdown in nyc. Many thanks in advance for your advice!

Kind Regards,

Tucson, AZ

Default Winter in New England

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

When I lived in New England, winter was my favorite time of year. But that was largely because there were so few tourists! It's not particularly easy to get around when the weather turns nasty (and it will) and so you'll have to build some flexibility into your itinerary. I'd also suggest that you stay relatively close to the coast where conditions may be moderated somewhat. There are, in fact, some great places that are hard to see in the summer because of all the tourists that lose none of their charm in the winter when the visitors leave. High on that list would be Cape Cod, but don't overlook the 'other' cape north of Boston, Cape Ann and nearby Plum Island. Portsmouth NH and environs is another place to consider with Strawbery Banke, the island town of New Castle, the Nubble in York ME. And of course there's plenty to do in Boston itself, most notably along the Freedom Trail.

The one part of your plan that simply won't work is your intention to drive from Boston to Washington one day and then back to New York the next. Yes, it's possible but why? It's a full day's drive from Boston to Washington (assuming the roads are clear) and then you'd have to leave Washington so early the next morning in order to get a spot in Times Square the next day that, almost literally, the only thing you'd have time to stop and see would be the toll booths on the New Jersey, Delaware and Maryland Turnpikes and the George Washington and Delaware Memorial bridges (twice each!). You'd be much better off just spending that day and a half seeing the coastline between Boston and New York including places like Newport RI and Mystic Seaport in Connecticut.