1. Default West coast road trip Oct/Nov 2016

Hi guys,

I was hoping to get some advice on planning a road trip for my partner and I, I know it's a long way off but it would be good to get some ideas on route planning!! We will have 21 nights and would like to visit:

San Francisco
    Death Valley
    Las Vegas
    Grand Canyon
    Monument Valley
    Palm Springs
    Pismo beach
    We don't know how long to stay in each place and the only firm plans are to go to the Breeders Cup in Santa Anita on the 4 and 5 November. We will fly from Heathrow so we can start from San Fran, LA or Vegas and can do Santa Anita at the start middle or end. If anyone can help or have any different ideas it would be very much appreciated .
    Many thanks

Melbourne, Australia

Default Starting on the plan.

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

Since this trip is still sometime off, I will share a couple of things which will help you in the planning.

Firstly do you have any good paper maps of the south-western US? If these are not available locally, you might consider purchasing a Rand McNally road atlas from the RTA store, via the link at the bottom of this page. If you order it now, you will have it in a couple of weeks. These maps have tons of information on them, attractions, small towns, etc. and you can research all the places to see which ones you'd like to explore.

Secondly, however you plan, plan to drive the Pacific Coast Highway from SF to LA. That way you will have the scenic turnouts and the ocean on your side of the road. E.g. if you were to start in SF, drive to LA then Grand Canyon, Monument Valley and back to LV, Death Valley and Yosemite, back to SF. Of course, as you say, that loop could be started at any of the three cities. Returning the car to the same place as it was rented and flying into and out of the same airport will most likely get you the best deals.

Also be aware that Tioga Pass could very well be closed at the time. If it is plan to drive around the Sierra range between Yosemite and Death Valley.

3. Default

Hi Lifey,
    Thanks for your advice, I have just ordered a copy of the road atlas you suggested so we have lots of studying to do!