1. Default Need suggestions for a road trip from San Diego to Austin this week or next

Hi All,

newbie here. We are planning to drive from San Diego to Austin this weekend or next (myself, my wife and 9yr old son). We have Saturday/Sunday and Monday to drive with a plan to arrive at Austin by mid day Monday.

Any suggestions on where to stay along the way and any good places to visit along the way (not too far off)?

We like nature, scenic driving so looking to visit some good places along the way but not too far off...

any suggestions welcome and thank you in advance,
    sb

Welcome to RTA!

At 1300 miles from SD to Austin, you're looking at three days of about 400-450 miles driving. To make it there by mid-day on Monday, you will have to drive 500 miles per day for two days, and 300 miles on Monday.

Your first overnight stop, best bet, is at Wilcox, AZ. You have about 5 or 6 motels to choose from there. At 500 miles per day, you'll only be able to stop at one or two very quick places. The Yuma Territorial Prison is one very interesting place that is right on the way (and doesn't take too long to tour). Kartchner Cave might be another one, just outside of Tucson.

Your next stop could be at Fort Stockton, TX, which is also just under 500 miles. There are a lot of motels to choose from in Fort Stockton, but to get one at a reasonable price, you might want to book online. The oil construction boom has socked up a lot of cheap motels in the area full of workers. Plenty of places to eat there, too.

Your final day would be 335 miles into Austin.

Donna

Default Another Workable Plan

As Donna points out, you're pretty much at the limit of what you can do. Yes, it will be possible to get from San Diego to Austin in two and a half days, but they will be relatively long days. And remember, since you're heading east each 'day' will only be about 23 hours long as you move from time zone to time zone. So you should plan on making your stops do double duty - lunch in a park rather than a restaurant, that sort of thing. We show a few suggestions for stops every few hours along major Interstates HERE, including I-10. I'd suggest overnights in Lordsburg NM and Sonora TX. Both have at least a handful of lodging options. But both require 550 miles of driving to get to and so require getting a relatively early start in the morning, and will still leave you a couple of hundred miles to finish up on Monday.

AZBuck

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    Welcome to RTA!

At 1300 miles from SD to Austin, you're looking at three days of about 400-450 miles driving. To make it there by mid-day on Monday, you will have to drive 500 miles per day for two days, and 300 miles on Monday.

Your first overnight stop, best bet, is at Wilcox, AZ. You have about 5 or 6 motels to choose from there. At 500 miles per day, you'll only be able to stop at one or two very quick places. The Yuma Territorial Prison is one very interesting place that is right on the way (and doesn't take too long to tour). Kartchner Cave might be another one, just outside of Tucson.

Your next stop could be at Fort Stockton, TX, which is also just under 500 miles. There are a lot of motels to choose from in Fort Stockton, but to get one at a reasonable price, you might want to book online. The oil construction boom has socked up a lot of cheap motels in the area full of workers. Plenty of places to eat there, too.

Your final day would be 335 miles into Austin.

Donna

Thank you Donna...

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    As Donna points out, you're pretty much at the limit of what you can do. Yes, it will be possible to get from San Diego to Austin in two and a half days, but they will be relatively long days. And remember, since you're heading east each 'day' will only be about 23 hours long as you move from time zone to time zone. So you should plan on making your stops do double duty - lunch in a park rather than a restaurant, that sort of thing. We show a few suggestions for stops every few hours along major Interstates HERE, including I-10. I'd suggest overnights in Lordsburg NM and Sonora TX. Both have at least a handful of lodging options. But both require 550 miles of driving to get to and so require getting a relatively early start in the morning, and will still leave you a couple of hundred miles to finish up on Monday.

AZBuck
    Thanks AZBuck. I think I will take this suggestion which gives me a last day of driving of about 3 hrs which I like...