1. Default Ideas for East Coast Trip from Tampa to Maine with pop up camper and 9 year-old

My son and I are leaving Florida next June and return the last week in July so we have about 8 weeks available. I had planned to travel to Alaska, but thinking that might be too ambitious for two months. Decided to do the east coast this coming summer and the west the summer after...or vice versa? Really flexible. I have a v6 truck with 4wd that is two years old, and a camper. We really would prefer to be off the beaten path and save visiting NYC or DC for a cooler time of the year. Been as far north as Nickerson State Park in Cape Cod and LOVED it. Have traveled out west in an RV with my first group of kids and made it as far west as Rocky Mountain National Park-LOVED it. Would also love to drive the west coast. Really just want an inspiration and I have nine months to plan, but want to try to book my camping reservations by January. Any advice would be great! Thanks

Melbourne, Australia

Default Forward planning.

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American roadtrip Forum.

Whereas two months would give you 'enough' time to travel to AK and back, it is a place and route where ideally you do not want to be restricted by time. If AK interests you, I would highly recommend you get The Milepost, and start studying that, even if you won't be travelling for some years. It will set you up with a good amount of knowledge.

Enjoy your trip up the east coast. Best way to plan this is to follow the advice in this paragraph:-

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck
    Start with maps. Not GPS, not software, not Google, but real honest-to-god paper maps that show you your entire route, that you can mark up (and erase), that you can stick pins in, and that show something about the land you'll be driving through. Those are your essential tool in any RoadTrip planning process. Start by marking all the places you know you want to visit. Then connect the dots. Then look for more places of interest and scenic routes along the lines connecting the dots. Repeat until you've got as many sites and roads as you think you want.
    Spend some time reading around the forums as this area has been covered quite often.

3. Default

Thank you. I've heard about the Milepost book...will order it and maybe rethink my trip. I was in Europe this summer for eleven weeks and visited nine countries. Two to three days in each city was barely enough at times and there's the travel time to be added. That's why I was thinking that two months might not be enough time to get there. But I have been looking at some trips from Florida out west, and it seems like that might take a couple of weeks doing it leisurely. Then it's up the west coast. Milepost info then maybe I'll be able to gauge things better.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Good call.

Yes, I agree. If you want to go to the west coast and then up to AK and do it leisurely, you would need more time.(though after studying the Milepost and map you may rethink this.) I have driven to AK and back from various points in the lower 48, taking different routes each time, and still am looking forward to go again and check out those places which time restriction forced me to pass by. You might like to check out the last time I went, which is part of this trip.