Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Cottonwood Arizona to Chattanooga Tennessee

Hi to all
    Planing a road trip to Chattanooga Tennessee. I would like to travel from Cottonwood Arizona down to the Texas cost then fallow the south cost to some point. Along the way would like to have some good sea food. (not any good sea food in Az) allows would like to do some fishing. Then go north to Chattanooga Tennessee. I'm retired and don't have to be anywhere at any time. Would like to stay at B & B's or inexpensive hotels. in the $60 rang along the trip. Will be in a car not RV.
    If you need more info to help me plan this trip just ask.
    Thank you all

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

It sounds like you've got a nice idea for a trip. The only thing I didn't see in your post is a question. So, what kind of help or information are you looking for?

If you are planning to stay at B&Bs, you should be aware that they often aren't designed to be budget friendly. That's not to say you can't find affordable ones, but they generally fall more under the boutique/getaway style lodging with a higher price point. Also, they do typically require a bit more work to find, as you can't just go to one website and do a search to find and compare them.

3. Default

Thank you for the super fast reply.
    Looking for the rout I should tack. and places to stop at.
    One other rout I can do is I-40. B&B's I gees are out, but over night stays at hotels, I would like to stay in at about the $60 rang.

Our overnights are usually in that price range, though there are two of us. A few suggestions that I can make to help you stay within your budget:

My husband and I are members of both Choice and Wyndham rewards programs. On our last long trip, we utilized a lot of Wyndham properties. Their Super 8's are usually in that price range, depending of course on where they are located and not on a weekend in a college town.

Another way to keep an eye on the lodging budget is to get coupon books from state tourism bureaus, visitor centers, and occasionally truck stops as you enter a state where you will possibly stay the night. These coupon books will be full of hotel discount coupons and ads. There are some drawbacks -- these are walk-in-no-reservations, if you get there too late they may be "all out of coupon rooms", you may be on a floor that you don't want, or they may not be good on a weekend (particularly in a resort or a college town).

My husband and I do something else kind of crazy, but it helps: when we've had to go over budget for a place to stay because we hit the wrong place at the wrong time, that's the night we either cook in the room, go get fast food for dinner, or go to the grocery store and buy dinner. Twice, we've found a Super 8 at over $100 for the night because it was a weekend or holiday in the summer, near a touristy place.

Donna

5. Default

Thank you for your help.
    All the info you give is super. I'm 66 years old and a vet, so I get pretty good prices without coupons.

6. Default

I would use the trip wizard but cant seem to figure it out. Can put in the starting address and ending address. Cant seem to get Lodging and RoadTrip Attraction to come up.
    The instructions on the RoadTrip Map Center. are confusing to. Getting older sometimes is a bummer. LOL

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dalef home View Post
    I would use the trip wizard but cant seem to figure it out. Can put in the starting address and ending address. Cant seem to get Lodging and RoadTrip Attraction to come up.
    The instructions on the RoadTrip Map Center. are confusing to. Getting older sometimes is a bummer. LOL
    Is there any one out there that can help me with the RoadTrip Map Center. A step by step would be grate.

Default Finding that route and places to stop.

Looking for the rout I should tack. and places to stop at.
    The instructions on the RoadTrip Map Center. are confusing to. Getting older sometimes is a bummer. LOL.
    The very best advice I ever read is in the following paragraph, I feel sure you won't have any problems with it.:-

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck
    Start with maps. Not GPS, not software, not Google, but real honest-to-god paper maps that show you your entire route, that you can mark up (and erase), that you can stick pins in, and that show something about the land you'll be driving through. Those are your essential tool in any RoadTrip planning process. Start by marking all the places you know you want to visit. Then connect the dots. Then look for more places of interest and scenic routes along the lines connecting the dots. Repeat until you've got as many sites and roads as you think you want.
    That will make for a unique trip, rather than following what others may have found interesting or enjoyed. Good maps have all these attractions on it. Head to AAA or get a Rand McNally road atlas.

Lifey

Default Map attractions.

Once you have entered the route you simply go to the box below and click on 'Find road trip attractions'. You can select a distance of 50 or 100 miles away from your route line. Once you have done this, zoom into the map and click on the flags. There might be some unique lodgings listed but it's more about attractions. When you have an idea of your overnights you can use the RTA lodging link in the green tool bar to search for lodging options and costs in those areas.

Only you can decide on which route you should take based on what you find interesting, once you have a basic plan layed out we can certainly make suggestions and offer alternatives around your plan.

10. Default

Thank you so much. So far so good. When I click on Print Saved Map, Will not Print.
    I'm probably doing something wrong. Can you help ?
    If on the Road and don't have a printer, is there some way to copy the map to like, Microsoft Word ?