1. Default Where to tent camp between Carlsbad NM an Austin TX

Newbie here....Heading out on road trip with tent camping in mind. Los Angeles to Savannah. Route takes us from Las Cruces NM overnighting there and then heading towards Austin via Roswell and Carlsbad. I need to find a decent place to camp between Carlsbad and Austin, and probably closer to Carlsbad, given that we will have spent the better part of the day in New Mexico.

Anyone have suggestions? Or would we be better off finding a hotel? If so, where would be a good place, town-wise?

Welcome to RTA!

Your best bet for finding lodging is Pecos or Fort Stockton, they both have a decent selection of hotels. To find camping, a web search may find something near those 2 cities but I doubt it would be comfortable this time of year and they will primarily be RV parks.

Just doing a quick look, I'd probably start by taking a look at Monahans Sandhills State Park, which seems to be right in line with what you'd be looking for and has 26 campsites. Balmorhea State Park could be another option.

There are a few others in the general area, but not quite as close to the direct route to Austin. I was also only looking at state parks, which is where I typically start when I'm looking for tent camping options. If you dig a bit more deeply, you could probably find other options too.

4. Default

Hi, thank you so much for the recommendations. And such a quick response too! I haven't found much other than RV parks, but will check out Monahans.

The closest campsites to the Caverns NP is in the townsite of Carlsbad. The three seem to cater to the RV traveler. There is Brantley Lake State Park which is just northwest of Carlsbad the town and has good ratings with TripAdvisor, though I have never stayed there.

Checking Van Horn and Fort Stockton, those have RV parks, but they aren't really set up for tent campers. Balmorhea SP, between the two, looks like it has decent ratings too.

If you end up deciding that this would be a good night for a motel (and showers), Van Horn is the less expensive of the two. Prices in Ft Stockton lodging have shot up since the oil boom hit.

There's a great breakfast place in Junction -- well, it was great back a year ago -- it was called Isaack's. You have to go off the highway to the south about 3/4 or 1 mile, but it's well worth it. Mostly locals and the food was good, reasonably priced, and our waitress gave us good service.

Donna

Default It's all on maps.

Quote Originally Posted by scluvsrain View Post
    Hi, thank you so much for the recommendations. And such a quick response too! I haven't found much other than RV parks, but will check out Monahans.
    If you check your maps, you will see all the State Parks marked on them. I take it you are using good maps. This sort of information is on good quality maps, rarely on electronic gadgets.

If you cannot find good maps locally, you could get a road atlas from the RTA store, below.

Lifey

The quickest most direct route from Carlsbad to Austin does not take you through Van Horn, Balmorhea, or Monahans. It's US-285 through Pecos to Fort Stockton to pick up I-10. Monahans would probably be least out of your way.

Such is the nature of camping - good campsites for tent camping are rarely right on the direct route. (often you don't want them to be near it anyway!)

9. Default

I would have enjoyed staying in Van Horn because the prices of hotels are quite a bit lower than in Fort Stockton. However, I did see that it was enough out of our route to Austin to not make it worth the detour. Tent camping alternatives in nearby our route didn't really float my boat, so I opted for a hotel.

There are, however, quite a few nice choices for camping in the Austin area, McKinney Falls looks really nice, as does the Stephen Austin park down closer to Houston, which is on our way towards New Orleans and on to Savannah.