1. Default Road Trip Alabama and Louisiana

Hi there! I am going on a road trip very soon from Florida to Austin, Texas.

I have most of our route mapped out but I was looking for some suggestions of places to go around southern Alabama and Louisiana especially.

We will be in New Orleans for a couple of nights so I think I've got that covered but would really like to hear where is good to stop in Louisiana on our way to Austin.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Welcome to RTA Forum.

If you are going the coastal route instead of I-10, there are plenty of places to visit.

Florida has Wakulla Springs with a neat boat ride, and the long bridge out to St George Island is neat. A lighthouse and nice sandy beaches are out there, too

In Alabama, Fort Morgan on Mobile bay is worth a visit and the Dauphin Island Ferry runs nearby across the bay. There's a bridge off the island back to the mainland, so the route is continuously west.

Take highway 90 in southern Mississippi and, if you have time, stop in Biloxi and walk along the road to see the neat live oak sculpture there. Highway 90 has other good galleries and old homes to see.

There is lots to see and do along the coast, depending on your interests.

Tucson, AZ

Default Between New Orleans and Austin

One of my favorite 'roads' (actually a collection of various local roads) is the Creole Nature Trail in southwestern Louisiana that gets you back into bayou country you would otherwise miss on I-10. And then as a way to avoid Houston's traffic and instead see some of the Texas countryside, small towns and local diners, take TX-105 west from north of Beaumont to Brenham where it joins US-290 to Austin.