1. Default Newbie Road trip to California from Florida!! ALL advice greatly appreciated :)

Hello, yal!!

Have recently decided to move cross country for work and thought why not drive out? Well, since this would be the first road trip that lasted longer than 4 hours I've ever taken, I thought I'd seek some expert advice from more experienced folk on the web. From reading other threads I know that some preliminary info is needed to help guide the direction of the suggestions, so here goes.
    I am giving myself about a week to make this 3100 mile drive so I could get up to my new residence with some time to set up before I start work. I am not terribly into nature or museums but if there is a notable stop that falls in one of those categories that Should not be missed in your opinion, please do not hesitate to mention it. I have been raised in Miami and rarely leave the east coast so I would love to make a few stops that would help me learn about the South and South west. I am not a foodie but I love to eat so all suggestions for great eateries will be more than welcome. You know now that I think about it some more, I literally have no other requirements for this trip other than to eat well and catch a few cool/interesting sites along the most straightforward path available since I get lost quite easily. I thank you for your time in advance!!!

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I have a few questions for you to start.

First, Florida and California are huge states. Where are you actually starting and ending? It will make a big difference on what is actually the most straightforward path.

I'd also be curious about what kinds of places you think you'd like to stop that would help you learn about the south and southwest. Museums and National Parks would generally be the first places I'd think of for a request like that, but you've indicated those really aren't your thing, so what did you have in mind?

Finally, when will this trip take place? You placed this in the fall/winter section, so weather could be a factor - and that's even if I-10 ends up being your best route choice. A week is a good amount of time for a 3100 mile trip, but if you want to make stops to see things along the way, it's about 6 days of driving, leaving you one extra day in case weather does become something that slows you down.

ps- have you checked out the RTA Map Center yet? That will show you recommended ideas for things to do right along your route.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Getting ready.

Of course, when you have answered Michael's question the very next thing you need to do is get some good detailed maps of the south of the country. If you are a member of AAA (highly recommended before a long trip) you can pick up excellent free maps there. Since you say you are a person who gets lost easily, it is all the more important that you not rely solely on your electronics. Be sure that you have good maps and the ability to read them. Make sure you know the big picture at all times, so you know where you are. A small screen cannot possibly give you that picture.

Then you might like to follow the suggestions in this paragraph:-

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck
    Start with maps. Not GPS, not software, not Google, but real honest-to-god paper maps that show you your entire route, that you can mark up (and erase), that you can stick pins in, and that show something about the land you'll be driving through. Those are your essential tool in any RoadTrip planning process. Start by marking all the places you know you want to visit. Then connect the dots. Then look for more places of interest and scenic routes along the lines connecting the dots. Repeat until you've got as many sites and roads as you think you want.
    Often you find the best eateries and out of the way attractions when you ask the locals.