Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Visiting Mormon Row (WY) in late September?

Greetings!

We are taking a road trip that will take us in a circle/loop from our home in southeastern AZ to Albuquerque, Colo. Springs, Keystone SD, Yellowstone NP, Alpine WY, Provo UT, Zion NP, Flagstaff AZ and home.

I've just added a must-see to my itinerary and want to know if anyone has any suggestions or advice. When we leave Yellowstone (Grant Village) at the southern end of the park, we want to take a side trip to Mormon Row on our way to a 2 night stay in Alpine WY.

I've read that the stop is well worth the effort, but I've also read that it is a bit challenging to find Mormon Row. Is it do-able as a stop on our way, or should we plan to back track from Alpine the next day?

Any input would be appreciated. Oh, we will be there on Sept. 24 of this year!

Eileen

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You shouldn't have any problems at all visiting Mormon Row on the day you leave Yellowstone. If you have any concerns about finding it, then simply stop and talk to some of the rangers at Grand Teton to get clear directions.

The only thing I'd say is that if you're hoping to see anything else in Grand Teton, then you'll be staying quite a long way from the park by basing yourself out of Alpine.

Welcome!

The lodging in Alpine costs less than half of what it costs to stay inside either park, in Jackson, or at Flagg Ranch (between the two parks). So I understand the stay at Alpine, though not sure about two nights there. It's the same reason why on our final day in the area, we drove from West Yellowstone MT, through the south end of Yellowstone, into Grand Teton, and then stayed in Driggs, ID: cost.

Bear in mind, though, that quite a number of facilities in Yellowstone will be closed by Sept. 20th. Grant Village appears to remain open another week after that, and Mammoth Hot Springs is open into October. Click here for a more complete list. Also keep in mind that while the roads are open in Yellowstone, there's construction zones, and those will slow traffic down (if not completely stop it). Click here for road information.

Donna

Default Well-positioned for capturing cool light by staying at Alpine!

Eileen, personally I like the views of the Tetons more along Teton Park Road -- especially on days when the clouds are shifting in and out. Granted you won't find all of those barns that you will find along Mormon Row, but the mountains are very impressive. And when you are that close -- certainly take time to stop at the Grand Teton Lodge -- for a coffee and view.

A couple of weeks ago, I drove from Yellowstone Lake to St. George in a day with stops in dozens of places along the Tetons and along US-89. So, you will have ample time to explore as much of the roads in the Teton NP area (including Mormon Row), before driving on to Alpine. Although as suggested below, you can revisit the Mormon Row area a couple of times from your two-day base in Alpine.

From Alpine to Mormon Row is only about 50 miles -- so you will have time to check in and go back to Mormon Row in time for sunset photos -- or even better -- photos at first light if you choose!

US-89 is a gorgeous route and here is an excerpt (for the Travel Channel) I wrote about traveling along US-89 on your way to Zion...
    This route links several distinct areas of scenic beauty and Western history. Little Denmark was settled by early Mormon pioneers from Scandinavia. Glass and woodworking studios reflect this heritage, and the towns boast numerous well-preserved historic buildings. Sevier Valley is farming and ranch country. Visit the Butch Cassidy Museum in Richfield and his childhood home in Circleville; take a dip in the Mystic Hot Springs in Monroe....
    By the way, I added a photo I took along the Teton Park Road to the photo rotator on the RTA front page -- just to whet your appetite...
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 08-31-2015 at 08:38 AM. Reason: added comment about the photo

You shouldn't have any problem finding Mormon Row. As you head south on US26 turn left onto Antelope Flats road just before the town of Moose. On the approach the fields around are flat and then you will see a straight line of trees on the left and a mound of trees behind that which are quite obvious, that's where you turn left. Along the road a short way you will see the first barn and small parking area on the left side of a small junction. Turning right at that junction takes you to the barn that has been made famous through photography. You can walk from the junction or drive down. You can continue driving down the road and turning right on Gros Ventre road back to the main highway, but the road is quite rutted and rough, especially after heavy rains, so going back the way you came is probably easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You shouldn't have any problems at all visiting Mormon Row on the day you leave Yellowstone. If you have any concerns about finding it, then simply stop and talk to some of the rangers at Grand Teton to get clear directions.

The only thing I'd say is that if you're hoping to see anything else in Grand Teton, then you'll be staying quite a long way from the park by basing yourself out of Alpine.
    Thank you Michael! I'm so unfamiliar with that whole area! We don't do a lot of walking, hiking, etc. so wanted to be able to get some lovely views of the mountains that are pretty easy to drive to.

I'm looking into perhaps changing one of those nights in Alpine for one closer to Jackson so we can explore the area a bit longer before moving on. I chose 2 night in Alpine because I figured we'd have a full day of sightseeing between Yellowstone and Alpine, and would want to just kick back and relax surrounded by some gorgeous scenery.

Question: are the Tetons visible at all from Alpine?

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    Welcome!

The lodging in Alpine costs less than half of what it costs to stay inside either park, in Jackson, or at Flagg Ranch (between the two parks). So I understand the stay at Alpine, though not sure about two nights there. It's the same reason why on our final day in the area, we drove from West Yellowstone MT, through the south end of Yellowstone, into Grand Teton, and then stayed in Driggs, ID: cost.

Bear in mind, though, that quite a number of facilities in Yellowstone will be closed by Sept. 20th. Grant Village appears to remain open another week after that, and Mammoth Hot Springs is open into October. Click here for a more complete list. Also keep in mind that while the roads are open in Yellowstone, there's construction zones, and those will slow traffic down (if not completely stop it). Click here for road information.

Donna
    Hello Donna,

Thank you for the info regarding construction issues!

I realized as I started planning this trip back in March that there are a lot of seasonal closures in this general area! This will be our first visit to Yellowstone, and I know we will be able to see only a small fraction of high points on our 3-day stay. And I realize some places will be closed, but we're trying to prepare for that as we finalize our plans.

I chose Alpine both for price and location, but now am unsure as to what we will be able to view from Alpine. As I mentioned in my post to Michael, I'm considering changing one night in Alpine for one night closer to Jackson and breaking the bank on a hotel...lol.

Thanks again!
    Eileen

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sedenquist View Post
    Eileen, personally I like the views of the Tetons more along Teton Park Road -- especially on days when the clouds are shifting in and out. Granted you won't find all of those barns that you will find along Mormon Row, but the mountains are very impressive. And when you are that close -- certainly take time to stop at the Grand Teton Lodge -- for a coffee and view.

A couple of weeks ago, I drove from Yellowstone Lake to St. George in a day with stops in dozens of places along the Tetons and along US-89. So, you will have ample time to explore as much of the roads in the Teton NP area (including Mormon Row), before driving on to Alpine. Although as suggested below, you can revisit the Mormon Row area a couple of times from your two-day base in Alpine.

From Alpine to Mormon Row is only about 50 miles -- so you will have time to check in and go back to Mormon Row in time for sunset photos -- or even better -- photos at first light if you choose!

US-89 is a gorgeous route and here is an excerpt (for the Travel Channel) I wrote about traveling along US-89 on your way to Zion...

By the way, I added a photo I took along the Teton Park Road to the photo rotator on the RTA front page -- just to whet your appetite...
    Wow - the picture is stunning! Thank you Mark for all the GREAT info about visiting this area!

Since I am so unfamiliar with the area, is Teton Park Road easily accessible from highway 89? From your description, it sounds so.

While I'm considering perhaps now doing a night closer to Jackson and only doing one night in Alpine, it's great to know you were able to do so much sightseeing in the one day drive you outlined. That still might work for us, with an early departure from Grant Village and maybe a little later arrival in Alpine...just in time for a late dinner and then off the bed!

Thank you for the wealth of info you've shared and the links to your picture and Travel Channel piece!
    Eileen

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    You shouldn't have any problem finding Mormon Row. As you head south on US26 turn left onto Antelope Flats road just before the town of Moose. On the approach the fields around are flat and then you will see a straight line of trees on the left and a mound of trees behind that which are quite obvious, that's where you turn left. Along the road a short way you will see the first barn and small parking area on the left side of a small junction. Turning right at that junction takes you to the barn that has been made famous through photography. You can walk from the junction or drive down. You can continue driving down the road and turning right on Gros Ventre road back to the main highway, but the road is quite rutted and rough, especially after heavy rains, so going back the way you came is probably easier.
    Thank you Dave! Closer looks at a detailed map indicate this should be an easy find! So good to know about the road conditions on Gros Ventre because I was originally thinking that would be a scenic drive on to Alpine! I'm sure we'll just back track and get back to the highway the way we come in. I sure appreciate the information!
    Eileen

Default Inside Yellowstone NP questions - Sept. 2015 trip

I am still tweaking our trip that includes a stay at YNP.

We leave next week for a road trip that will include 3 days/nights at Grant Village in YNP (21st - 24th & only place that had accommodations when I was booking). I have counted up the miles for a possible all-day circle trip from Grant Village north then west then south and back to Grant Village. I came up with approx. 140 miles.

On normal roads with good conditions, this would be an easy 3+< hour drive.

So my question is - can we make my proposed route in one (long) day?

Grant Village
    Fishing Bridge
    Canyon Junction
    Tower Junction
    Mammoth Hot Springs
    Through the Geyser Basins
    Old Faithful
    Grant Village

I realize variables such as speed limits, scenic stops, animals, photo ops, Old Faithful eruption, etc. will all play a part in how long this trip would take. I am disabled, so we won't be doing any hikes, long walks, etc. to view scenery...we'll see as much as we can from close to the roads.

We will have two full days to spend in the park, so should I think of breaking up this trip into 2 days? We'd have to drive back to Grant Village each day of course, and start out again.

Thank you so much for any advice, suggestions, etc.