Default What would be on your bucket list of routes?

I contributed a couple of this year's "Best Road Trips" compiled by the Travel Channel.

Can you guess which trips are the ones I suggested?

More importantly, what routes would you have listed for your top 3 favorite routes in North America?

Mark

Default Besides the Obvious

There are routes that would (or should) make anyone's list. These would include the Blue Ridge Parkway, the Natchez Trace, and the Pacific Coast Highway. But in the interest of diversity, let's just assume those and try to point out a few of the more out-of-the-way routes. For my own part, I will stick to those that truly appeal to my sense of 'desolate isolated beauty', roads where it would not be unusual to drive their entire length and see only a handful of other cars - if that. So, my nominees: MT-200 between Grass Range and Circle, ME-9 between Bangor and Calais, and BC-3/AB-3 over Crowsnest Pass.

AZBuck

Default Almost need Top 3 in each state/province

For the lesser traveled routes.... US-6 north from Bishop, California through the Chalfant Valley to Benton and then west on CA-120 past Benton Hot Springs to the overlook at Mono Lake before connecting to US-395.

Actually, the route I proposed -- but was not selected by the Travel Channel editor -- was along the western edge of North Dakota touching on all three sections of the Theodore Roosevelt National Park.

And I really love Basin and Ranges so US-95 is hard to beat -- between Las Vegas and Fallon.

But there are so many favorite routes -- I think I would have trouble narrowing it down to my top three in any one state...

Actually, #1 on my bucket list is the Lincoln Highway -- coast to coast!

But I really like that suggestion over Crowsnest Pass!

Mark

Can you guess which trips are the ones I suggested?
    Mark has to be responsible for the Great River Road (or someone else also has impeccable taste in beer!), and I'm going to guess that US-89 would be your other contribution.

In 2002, I did both BC-3 and MT-200 on the same trip. Funny thing is, they weren't picked for any special scenic beauty or knowledge of them, they were just appealing lines on the map!

I would certainly the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia. Even factoring in the bias that its the most fresh in my mind, I might rank it even higher than California for a coastal drive.

I would also make note of the Rogue-Umpqua Scenic Byway in Oregon. I've only driven the section along OR-62 between Medford and Crater Lake. It really stands out because as much as I enjoyed Crater Lake, I wound up liking the drive along the Rouge just as much, if not more.

For a 3rd, I'll throw out MN-61 along the North Shore of Lake Superior, between Duluth and Thunder Bay. Although I'd really like to continue and loop all the way back around to Saulte Ste. Marine someday.

Default Hard to choose.

The 'San Juan Skyway' in Colorado is quite something, looping through the towns of Durango, Cortez and Ridgway while including the lovely mountain towns of Telluride, Ouray and Silverton with the famous 'Million dollar Highway' incorporated.

I really enjoyed the drive down US95 from Hanksville, especially when including the 261 heading down the Moki Dugway and 163 through Monument valley.

US93 from Vegas and up through the Great Basin perhaps.

A less obvious choice would be the Kern river highway to Johnsondale and MT90 up to Quaking Aspen in the Sequoia National Forest.

These are besides the National park highways and Byways and the other 101 I could think of ! [UT24/scenic 12 is also one of my favourites]

Dang, this is to tough !

Beartooth Highway!

The Alaska Highway!

Donna

Take all the US coast to coast routes. US 2, 20, 6, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, Lincoln Highway.

Default Maybe next year.

The James W Dalton Highway...... just one more time.

Lifey

Default Michael was the inspired source for the "Dangerous Man" visit

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Mark has to be responsible for the Great River Road (or someone else also has impeccable taste in beer!), and I'm going to guess that US-89 would be your other contribution.
    Yep, you are correct. I thought it was odd that the other routes chosen from that article are found in my "backyard." Craft Beer is enjoying a heyday right now in the USA. Las Vegas boasts more then 10 local breweries and I am slowing tasting my way through the amazing slew of offerings they produce.

Mark

We're on a Johnny Cash inspired trip, going to every place mentioned in his (or Al Snow's) I've Been Everywhere song. We've already completed 27% of the destinations, and in two weeks we'll be adding Winslow, Santa Fe, Amarillo, and maybe Bakersfield, Hennessey, Tulsa, and Pasadena. See what I mean-a?

reno.jpg
    crater lake.jpg
    baltimore.jpg
    houston.jpg
    opelika.jpg