Thread: Nola to LA

1. Default Nola to LA

I'm wanting to drive from new Orleans to LA in august 2017....I have 3/4 weeks as I'm luckily off work over the summer. I want to see as much as the US as I can so don't mind taking my time and doing slower routes or even starting further east to get more of the country in. I'll have my 2 early teens (they'll be 14 and 13 then) with me so lots of quirky things to do would be good. Just any advice would be great as I'm literally at the start of planning.....

I would like to stop in at Fort Worth as have old family friends there I would like to catch up with x

South of England.

Default Involve the teens in planning.

Hello and welcome to RTA !

At this early stage of planning the best thing to do is start researching and studying the maps and include the teens in doing so. If they have an interest in the trip from the 'get go', it will be far more fun for everyone. With 3 to 4 weeks you have thousands of different route and attraction options open to you, so before we can give meaningful advice you are going to need a few markers on the map. I would certainly recommend the National parks of which there are many to choose from in the southwest. Colorado, Utah, Arizona and California all offer an amazing number of amazing places and you could always head to San Fran and drive the beautiful coast around Big Sur into LA. Enjoy the planning and keep asking questions as and when needed.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Maps.

Do you have good quality maps? Are you able to get these locally? If not, may I suggest that you purchase a Rand McNally road atlas, which is available from the RTA store at the bottom of this page. This atlas is one of the most used in the US, has excellent detailed maps including attractions, historical, natural and tourist. As well, it grades all the roads and hilights the scenic routes. If you order it now you will have it in a couple of weeks. With almost two years to plan you and the teenagers have lots of time to learn what is where, and how far things are away from each other.

Reading through the forums, especially the Road Trip Field Reports should be of great benefit. Learn what others have seen, where they went, and what obstacles they may have encountered.

A great way to make a trip memorable is to keep a journal of the most important things of that day. This is something, which in your case you and the youngsters might like to start during the planning process. You could all record what you have researched on any given day. Great to look back on and a valuable learning experience.

Enjoy the planning.