1. Default Senior road trip

Me and a few of my friends really want to go on a road trip this summer after senior year before we part ways that fall. I will be the only one under 18. How will that effect the trip? What are some ways to help with that problem? We can't wait until I'm 18 because that won't be until the very end of summer. What are some recommended routes or places? We are starting in Birmingham, AL. We are open to going anywhere. We would like to spend about two weeks on this trip. any specific landmarks? We would all love to go to a music event, a game of some sort (like basketball, baseball, whatever is in season in June or early July) and/ or an amusement park. How much money would that cost for each person? We have discussed all of this ourselves but its always good to have other opinions from another perspective. Also, what are some tips to keep us not bored/ annoyed with each other in the long car rides? Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia

Default You are correct.

Hi and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

You will have problems in two areas, which really are difficult, if not impossible to overcome. The first is that no reputable place of accommodation will allow a minor to stay without parents or some other responsible related adult.

The other area is that should something happen, there is no way that you or your friends could authorise medical treatment. This is aggravated should you not be conscious.

Best thing is to put this off till you are all 18.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default challenges

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'm not going to go so far as to say you can't make this trip happen, but I think as a practical matter, you're going to have to think on a pretty small scale. As Lifey mentioned, you're going to have a very difficult time finding any place to stay. Most hotels don't allow unrelated minors to stay in a room with an 18 year old, and even some campgrounds have similar restrictions.

I would look at places within a couple hours of home. That's going to make it easier for you to focus your search on places where you'll be able to stay, and keeps you close enough where a legal guardian is within reach should you encounter a problem. I would also scale back your plans in terms of time. 2 weeks is a long time to be on the road for a first trip, which could aggravate the inevitable issues of being in very close contact with the same people, and of course, would only add more complications to the under-18 problem. It's easy to think that a roadtrip's success is measured in how far you go and how long you're gone, but that's not the case at all, and bigger is often not better.

As far as the other questions you've asked, most of them are just far too vague to be answered at this point. There is no list of generic routes and places you should go on a road trip, nor is there a one-size fits all formula to figure out how much money you'll need. That all depends upon the specific details of your plan, the places you decide are "must-sees" and "must stops" for you, and the details of how you travel (choice of vehicle, what you do for food, lodging, entertainment, etc). As you figure out those details, we'll be in a better position to give you additional advice.