1. Default How much time from San Diego to Grand Canyon?

Hi!

I am planning going on a roadtrip starting in San Diego going to Sedona and from there Grand Canyon and back. I would like to spend at least one night in Grand Canyon. Is it possible to do this and be back again in San Diego in 4 days? I am planning on going on a Wednesday morning and be back Saturday night. Hope somebody knows if this is realistic?

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Sandiegovisiter View Post
    Hi!

I am planning going on a roadtrip starting in San Diego going to Sedona and from there Grand Canyon and back. I would like to spend at least one night in Grand Canyon. Is it possible to do this and be back again in San Diego in 4 days? I am planning on going on a Wednesday morning and be back Saturday night. Hope somebody knows if this is realistic?
    Hi Sandiegovisiter,

Yes, it can be done but only you will have to decide if it's to much for the short amount of time you have. The trip will look something like this.

Wednesday San Diego to Sedona: 465 miles/almost 7 hours of driving time

Thursday Sedona to Grand Canyon: 120 miles/about 2 hours so you will have a little time to spend in Sedona before you drive to Grand Canyon

Friday: All Day Grand Canyon

Saturday Grand Canyon to San Diego: 550 miles/8 hours of driving time.

Keep in mind I'm only giving estimated driving times so it will be longer depending on gas/pit stops and meals. You will want to avoid the Labor Day weekend if at all possible. When do you plan this trip?

Utahtea

3. Default

I was planning on going Wednesday September 9th. I can see that this is a couple of days after Labor day - do you think that will effect my trip?

Default Accommodation.

I would like to spend at least one night in Grand Canyon.
    If you do not already have a reservation, I suggest you get right onto that now. Make it a priority, and if it is all booked out, get back to the site frequently to see if a cancellation has popped up. Otherwise check out Tusayan, the closest place to the Canyon.

Try to be on the Canyon Rim at sundown and/or sunrise. A spectacular experience.

You might like to consider driving from Sedona to the Grand Canyon via US89 and AZ64 (desert view drive), entering the Canyon in the same way as the Colorado River. It'll take longer than 2 hours, but will be worth it.

Lifey

Wednesday San Diego to Sedona: 465 miles/almost 7 hours of driving time

Thursday Sedona to Grand Canyon: 120 miles/about 2 hours so you will have a little time to spend in Sedona before you drive to Grand Canyon

Friday: All Day Grand Canyon

Saturday Grand Canyon to San Diego: 550 miles/8 hours of driving time.
    It's going to take more like 8 or 9 hours to get from San Diego to Sedona. A few miles of that trip is on 2-lane roads that are going to go slower-than-the-average 65 mph. Grand Canyon to San Diego at 550 miles and 8 hours is going to depend a lot on which route you take (heading south through Phoenix and Yuma, or heading west to Barstow and down the 15), but I'd count on it being more like 10 hours.

Even on the weekend of the 9-10-11-12 of September, you'll need reservations somewhere -- whether it's at the Rim itself, Tusayan, down in Williams or over in Flagstaff. Same with Sedona, should you decide to stay a night there.

Donna

6. Default

I was planning on going Wednesday September 9th. I can see that this is a couple of days after Labor day - do you think that will effect my trip?
    The crowds are bad on the holiday weekends then it gets much better afterwards. Schools have started so that helps. You should be fine, but as everyone has pointed out, you still need to make reservations for lodging.

Utahtea

7. Default

I just checked the opportunity to sleep at the bottom of the Grand Canyon - as far as I could tell, it was only possible doing this through the Havasupai tribe. But they sad that they were fully booked throughout the year! Do anybody know another way to get to sleep at the bottom of the canyon?

Grand Canyon Lodges-Phantom Ranch is who you should have been talking to, but about a year ago. Still, cancellations happen, so use the number on that link and see if you can get in on someone else's reservations. The only other way is to Backcountry camp, and there's a number for that, too. Bear in mind that you need to have a backcountry permit, but it is definitely a two-to-three day hike to go to the bottom and back up again. (My brother did it down in one day and back up in another, but it was brutal and he was in fine, very fine shape. His friend had to come back up in flip-flops because he tore his boot to smithereens. Keep that in mind, too.)

Donna

With the time you have available I would leave an overnight stay in the canyon until another time and enjoy the many views all along the rim.