1. Default Boston to Wilkes Barre

Will be driving from Boston to Wilkes Barre with two teenagers for a friend's graduation ceremony. They would love to go to Philadelphia but I know that is out of the way. Suggestions on what to see and where to stay. We will be gone for a long weekend.
    Thank you!

Green County, Wisconsin

Boston to WB is only a 5 hour drive, so generally its not a trip where you'd need to stay anywhere overnight. Certainly Philadelphia is out of the way for the drive between the two points, but you could easily do it as a Daytrip out of WB.

Tucson, AZ

Default Making the Most of What You've Got

I agree with you that Philadelphia doesn't make a whole lot of sense on this trip unless your 'long weekend' is really long, four days or more. Even as a day trip out of Wilkes-Barre, you're going to have to do at least four hours of driving, leaving only about half a day to see Philly, and that's just not enough to justify the driving, traffic, and expense. On the other hand, there is quite a lot that you could include between Boston and Wiles-Barre and around your destination without necessitating a whole lot of extra driving. There are scenic routes such as the Mohawk Trail through the Berkshires, other 'mountainous' terrain such as the Catskills and Poconos, historic sites such as Mark Twain's and Harriet Beecher Stowe's homes (next door to each other in West Hartford), the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, West Point, etc., etc., etc. What kind of attractions in particular were you hoping to find.

Last edited by AZBuck; 08-24-2015 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Typo

Melbourne, Australia

Default Respite from I-80.

A lovely detour off I-80 is the Elk Scenic Drive. The brochure describes it as an adventure in 23 chapters.

It's not all that long, but the going is slow, with lots to see and do. The best time to see most of the Elk at the viewing area by the Visitor centre is late in the day or early in the morning.