1. Default Best Scenic route to South Lake Tahoe from Orange County, CA

My family will be heading to South Lake Tahoe in couple days and would like advise on best scenic route there from Orange County, CA. I have the 3 kids ranging from 8-15 so I want to know if it's possible to drive past & check out some of the famous redwoods on the way there?

South of England.

Default In one day?

You will notice a common theme here that there is no single best route or attraction, just options you can base on your own interests and time availability. If you are doing the journey in one day you will be hard pushed to start making any detours into Sequoia for the Redwoods. The same could be said of driving into Yosemite and over the mountains on the scenic Tioga Pass (CA120). With a day, I would consider taking 395 up the east side of the Sierras and have time for regular stops where the kids can run around for a while.

Southern California

You might want to take Dave's advice, go up 395 this trip. The redwoods at Sequoia would be a nice trip on another 3-day weekend -- Orange County to Sequoia is about a 250 mile drive -- roughly 5-6 hours if the traffic is bad, 4-1/2 hours in good traffic (and that includes the infamous Tejon Pass).

Donna a little further south than you

Joplin MO

You didn't say where you are in OC, but I'd take the best way you know of to I-15, take that over Cajon Pass, and pick up US-395 in Hesperia. Fill your gas tank in Bishop, everything north of there till you get to Tahoe is very expensive. Gas right now in Bishop is about $3.85, expect $4.50+ till you get to SLT.

To get from US-395 to South Lake Tahoe, I'd take CA-89 from Topaz over Monitor and Luther Passes to US-50.

Unless you want to spend at least 1 night on the road, you don't have time to go looking at big trees.

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Access to Yosemite from the eastern Sierra-- not going to work for next week or so

Um. Wait one moment -- Highway 120 from US-Hwy 395 is currently closed due to the Walker Fire. If you want to see the Sequoias, you need to approach from the west.