Thread: Editing a route

Hybrid View

Default Editing a route

Hi,

just wondering how do I go about editing a route in my map without deleting it? I want my routes to remain in the order they are currently in, but I would like to change the starting/ending points on some.

Also, is there a way to have say 6 maps but each with a different route. At the moment I am planning a loop of the US and obviously as new ideas come up, I make a new map, but I still have the old routes in there, so the newest map has so many routes that I don't need, but if I try to delete them it says they will be deleted from other maps as well.

Hope that makes sense! I am loving making my maps by the way!

Katherine

Default Some tips for you!

Quote Originally Posted by 2016USAHoliday View Post
    just wondering how do I go about editing a route in my map without deleting it? I want my routes to remain in the order they are currently in, but I would like to change the starting/ending points on some.
    Katherine, Sorry, I didn't see this earlier and welcome to the trip advice planning forums. And thanks for the kudos --

But to address your questions:

1. There is no need (ever) to delete maps in your account. I have hundreds of test maps I've created over the years.

2. I am not sure what you mean by "...wanting the routes to remain in the order they are currently in..." There is no "order" -- there is a list -- but it doesn't matter how that list is created -- actually, every time you create a New Route, the system assigns it a new number -- even if you delete a route -- the number assigned to an individual route doesn't change -- so you could have a bunch of non-sequential route numbers -- but it doesn't matter you can always select the route you want to use when you create any Map.

3. Every time you create a new route -- you will be prompted to save it It will be a new route and saved in your "My Routes" list -- just make sure you give a new name so you can differentiate between the routes,

Also, is there a way to have say 6 maps but each with a different route. At the moment I am planning a loop of the US and obviously as new ideas come up, I make a new map, but I still have the old routes in there, so the newest map has so many routes that I don't need, but if I try to delete them it says they will be deleted from other maps as well.
    Yes, you can have an infinite number of maps on your account. Every time you create a New Map => Route + Custom Places = New Map -- you could have a new route.

.... I make a new map, but I still have the old routes in there, so the newest map has so many routes that I don't need, but if I try to delete them it says they will be deleted from other maps as well
    Are you saying that when you create a new map, you can see more than one set of the blue lines (the route) on the map at a time? Or are you referring the list in the tables on the left-hand side of the page?

Once in a while, I've seen situations where one or more routes stay live on a map -- it's almost impossible to make it happen though -- I just tried several things and I can only make one route appear on the map pane.

But if you are on the rare breed that can make this glitch appear on demand -- please share how you do do this! -- Seriously to make sure that such an issue doesn't affect your map planning work -- just reload the page when you start a new map. In most cases, you won't have to reload it -- the mere act of creating new route -- creates a new database set in our database and loads a new page.

You mentioned "editing a route" -- there is no way to "edit" a preexisting and saved route. Each route you create on the RTA Custom Maps page is UNIQUE, and so even if you were to create 10 routes with the exactly the same beginning and ending points and with the same Custom Places or the RTA Attractions -- Each Map would be unique and have it's own number in the "My Maps" list.

So, let's say you open a Saved Map and you make some changes in the Custom Places or the RTA Attractions displayed on that Map. When you save the work -- it will be a NEW MAP (so use a new name, like "my trip edited Aug 18".

So, it is common for some one using these mapping tools to create dozens of routes and maps for a single trip.

And yes, if you delete a Route -- it will affect other saved Maps. Remember a MAP is the combination of a ROUTE + a set of locations either created as CUSTOM PLACES or by adding the RTA ROADTRIP ATTRACTIONS. So if you delete a route on a map -- you are not deleting it from just the map -- you are deleting it from the list of Routes -- under "MY ROUTES" and you can never use it again. (not ideal) -- and if you did that --, it would "break" any map you've created that used that route.

So, if you somehow manage to get more than one route displaying on a map -- just reload the page. Reselect the Route you want (click on the route number in your Routes list) -- Add whatever Attractions or Custom Places you want and then SAVE THE NEW MAP...

Once you have a list of ROUTES in "Your Routes" list and a list of CUSTOM PLACES in your "My Custom Places" list -- you can create new maps in a few seconds. Literally -- when I was testing some maps to try and reproduce what you described, I made 10 new maps in about 2 minutes.

Does this help -- did I understand your questions?

By the way, there is a tutorial in this thread that discusses how to use this mapping program to create Routes, Custom Places and Maps -- I think you already have figured this out --- but it might be helpful to read the first couple of posts.
    I am loving making my maps by the way!
    Music to our ears!

Mark
    RTA Custom Maps Support

Thanks Mark.

You did answer my questions thank you.

What I wanted with my maps was each one with a different 55 day loop trip. So in my route list, I would have Day 1: a-b, Day 2: b-c etc for 55 days. Then map 2 would have the same principle but with changes to the route. This way I could have say 6 maps with 6 different loop routes without the previous maps routes on the list.

But that is OK, I can still use it and have fun changing and adding and reading the forum to get more ideas and mapping them out to see if they work for me!!!

.................do you have a cure for this addiction?????? And no, travelling wont work because you will be planning the next one straight away!!

Thanks again,
    Katherine

Default You could do 1000 loop routes or more!

What I wanted with my maps was each one with a different 55 day loop trip. So in my route list, I would have Day 1: a-b, Day 2: b-c etc for 55 days. Then map 2 would have the same principle but with changes to the route. This way I could have say 6 maps with 6 different loop routes without the previous maps routes on the list.
    Um... You could have 50 different loop routes or 1000 different loop routes... you can only display one map at a time, so as long as you have a way of keeping track of the various route options -- I still don't see the advantage of your system versus the way the RTA Custom Maps are set up. But, I am pleased that I answered your questions.

But that is OK, I can still use it and have fun changing and adding and reading the forum to get more ideas and mapping them out to see if they work for me!!!
    OK!

Mark