1. Default Fall trip from Denver, CO to Orlando, FL

Planning a road trip in late October. Starting from Denver to Kansas City and then go south through Dallas and Houston then New Orleans to Orlando. Please advise on the best flat land routes. Where should I stop for overnight stay. Will 4 days' driving safe? Thanks for input.

How did this trip go?

It can be done in 4 days, but that's 4 days of hard driving each day (10 to 12 hours on the road) with no time to do anything in the cities you mentioned. Overnights would be KC, Dallas, and New Orleans.

I-70 to KC, I-49 to Joplin, I-44 to Big Cabin, US-69/US-75 to Dallas, I-45 to Houston, I-10 to Nola and on to I-75 to the FL Turnpike to Orlando. You can work out which roads you want to take in and out of (or around) KC, Dallas, Houston, and Nola.

I assume there's a reason for going through those specific cities, because it's a heck of a lot longer than going from Denver to Orlando direct.

3. Default

Thanks for the post. On second thought, we will not go to Houston. We stop at Wichita, Dallas, New Orleans. We want to sight see in Dallas and esp. New Orleans. What will be the shortest route? Thanks.

Take I-70 to I-135 to Wichita, spend the night, that will be a pretty full day's drive, at least 8 hours. Then take I-35 to Dallas, you will have time to sightsee in the afternoon and spend the night - it's about 6 hours from Wichita to Dallas.

You will have to get up really early the next day, take I-20 to I-49 to I-10, it's about 8 hours to Nola from Dallas. It's a LONG day from Nola to Orlando, at least 10 hours via I-10/I-75/FL Turnpike.

If you want to go a bit farther after Dallas to spend the night (in order to get more time in Nola) it's about 1.5 hours to Tyler and 3 hours to Shreveport.

Default Still Almost Four Full Days

The fact is that it's a long way from Denver to Orlando, and if you only have four days to get there then you really don't have time to be making major sight-seeing stops in big cities. If you have your heart set on 'seeing' Wichita, Dallas, and New Orleans, then your routing is fairly simple. I-70 east to Salina KS then I-135/I-35 south through Wichita to Dallas; I-20 east to Shreveport then I-49 south to Lafayette and I-10 into New Orleans; I-10 east to Lake City FL and I-75 south to the Florida Turnpike into Orlando. You'd have at most only a couple of hours each to spend in Wichita, Dallas and New Orleans and the bulk of that time would be chewed up just getting into town, finding parking, and getting back out onto the highway.

AZBuck

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Take I-70 to I-135 to Wichita, spend the night, that will be a pretty full day's drive, at least 8 hours. Then take I-35 to Dallas, you will have time to sightsee in the afternoon and spend the night - it's about 6 hours from Wichita to Dallas.

You will have to get up really early the next day, take I-20 to I-49 to I-10, it's about 8 hours to Nola from Dallas. It's a LONG day from Nola to Orlando, at least 10 hours via I-10/I-75/FL Turnpike.

If you want to go a bit farther after Dallas to spend the night (in order to get more time in Nola) it's about 1.5 hours to Tyler and 3 hours to Shreveport.

Hi glc,

The plan keeps changing.The first leg to Wichita just for staying at Wichita overnight without sightseeing. Then overnight at Dallas and may go to 6th floor museum next morning then go to Baton Rouge for overnight stay and next morning drive to New Orleans for sightseeing. Drive to Pensacola FL for overnight stay and do some sightseeing at Pensacola then drive back to Orlando.

So it will be 5 days 4 nights. Any idea on the best routes? Thanks.

Same as above - I-70/I-135 to Wichita, I-35 to Dallas, I-20/I-49/I-10 to BR, I-10 to Nola, I-10 to Pcola, I-10/I-75/Tpk to Orlando.

This latest plan sounds a lot less rushed - good job. You will have some afternoon time in Dallas, and a bit of time the next morning too. 8 hours from Denver to Wichita, 6 hours from Wichita to Dallas, 7 hours from Dallas to BR, 3.5 hours from Nola to Pcola, 7 hours from Pcola to Orlando.

8. Default

Hi glc,

Look like from Dallas, we can take I-20/I-49/I-190/I-110/I-10 to Baton Rouge. Also, any recommendation on where to stay for overnight at south of BR. Thanks for your insight.

190 is not an Interstate, it's a US route, not an expressway. It only cuts off 10 miles from taking I-49 to I-10, and I doubt it would be any faster. I don't see much in the way of lodging between the suburbs of BR and the suburbs of NO, I don't have any specific recommendations.