Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Roadtrip from chicago to boston and back.

Hello, me and my father will be road tripping from chicago to boston and back. We are not on any kind of time limit, just need to be in Boston on the 22nd of August for a concert. We have been to Niagra falls and NYC multiple times, so we are not stopping there, any suggestions?
    Thank you

Default A few more miles.

If you would like to get off the I-90 and its tolls, here is a way I have travelled this route several times.

Head down to I-70 and take that to I-71 to I-70 then take a quite scenic I-86 across southern New York State to I-88. At Albany you would pick up I-90 which leads to the MassPike into Boston. I take it you have an E-Z Pass.

Alternatively, you could take I-71 to I-80 to I-380 to I-84 which will take you to Sturbridge where you would pick up the MassPike. Although you could possibly avoid tolls completely depending on where in Boston you need to be.

Look on your maps (not computer/gps) and see which roads take you there.

Of course if you would like to travel off the interstates you will see all the choices available to you by studying good detailed maps.

Lifey

Lifey made some typos.

Head down to I-70 and take that to I-71 to I-271 to I-90 then take a quite scenic I-86 across southern New York State to I-88. At Albany you would pick up I-90 which leads to the MassPike into Boston. I take it you have an I-pass, it works on all the eastern toll roads.

Alternatively, you could take I-71 to I-76 to I-80 to I-81 or I-380 to I-84 which will take you to Sturbridge where you would pick up the MassPike. Although you could possibly avoid tolls completely depending on where in Boston you need to be.

Default OOoooops!

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Lifey made some typos.
    Sawwy.

But you know what I meant. You taught me those routes.

Lifey

5. Default

Thank you for the route information, will be using it for sure. Now for places to see while on the way, any suggestions for things to see, museums, beaches, ect. And also where would tou guys recommend to stop and sleep for the night?

6. Default

Anyone? Still looking for help

A couple of ideas -- Cleveland, the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame. Sandusky OH, Cedar Pointe amusement park. Other than that, we aren't sure exactly what your interests are, so it's hard to make suggestions. Have you checked out the Map Center here at RTA for ideas? Or picked up a good set of paper maps for the trip?

Donna

8. Default

The hall of fame we will stop by for sure. We are looking to see something interesting, like museums, old towns, nature, parks. Amusement parks arent our kind of thing. I will chexk out the map center, thank you.

9. Default

Bump to the top

I'm not sure that a "bump" post works with this forum's software. However....other ideas came to mind....Cuyahoga Valley National Park. Armstrong Air and Space Museum in Waponetka, OH (Neil's hometown). Hubbard House Underground Railroad Museum near Edgewood, OH. Conneaut Historical Railroad Museum, Conneaut OH.

You should have a good set of maps for the trip - paper ones, not just the electronic things you find on the computer or a GPS.

Donna