1. Default A great stop in Georgia or Alabama for overnight from Panama City

I love RTA! Please help: I am on a quest to cover all 50 states (38 so far) with the family and will be in St. George's Island for several days in Florida. I would love to travel to Alabama or Georgia to cross off those states from our list. Is there a good stop a few hours drive from either Panama City or St. George's?

We have 3 teenagers, early to late. We like food, history, quirky, quaint, and local flavor. We are not camping or high-risk types.

(Any thoughts or tips about Vibrio and beach swimming?)
    Last edited by momof3east; 08-11-2015 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Typo

Joplin MO

This is closer to a whole day's drive, but I'd head north on US-231 to Dothan AL, then take AL-52/GA-62/GA-300 to I-75, GA-96/I-16 to Savannah. That's the best city in GA for what you are looking for.

Tucson, AZ

Default A Somewhat Tighter Loop

You could do a nice loop out of Panama City that takes in both Dothan AL and Bainbridge GA. Spending about half a day on the road would still leave you time to actually do something in each place to help build memories rather than just tick the state off some mental list. In Dothan, you can hunt for the Dothan Peanuts and in southeastern Georgia, either Fairchild State Park or Seminole State Park will let you dip your toes in the Chattahoochee River.

Québec, Montreal, Arizona, California, France

Default White sand beach and history

Hi there,
    If you're looking for the finest white sand beach ever, head West to Gulf Shores, Alabama. From Panama City, take U.S. 98 W, route 196 W, route 292 West and 182 West (3.75 hour drive from PC). My favourite area to stay is West Beach as it is quieter, although you might have trouble finding a room for only one night (mostly houses and condos). You can either stay right on the beach in the heart of Gulf Shores or Orange Beach or you can stay overnight in Foley if you want to pay a little less. I stayed a couple of nights at the America's Best Value Inn in Foley a few years ago and the accomodations were fairly nice and reasonably priced.

For a bit of local history, head to Ft. Morgan to visit the old fort and/or take the ferry to Dauphin Island and visit Fort Gaines. You can also head North to Mobile (1 h drive) to visit Ft. Condé and the History Museum (free admission), the USS. Alabama or simply walk in the downtown area. There's a great crab place on U.S. 90 just East of Mobile, but I can't remember its name just now (sorry!). It's on the North side of the road as you cross the Mobile Bay and it looks a little bit rundown. It's across the street from another big restaurant.

As GLC stated, Savannah is also a great option and it is one of my favourite cities in the U.S. It has a lot of character, quirk, history, great food and Tybee Island is only 20 miles away if you're looking for a beach.