1. Default Cross country 1 way Niagara falls to lake Tahoe

I am leaving tomorrow (Wednesday August 12) to go through the thousand islands to Niagara falls and the hockey hall of fame, then begin a trip west to California. I am looking for suggestions for places to stop along the way. I've already been on my trip for close to 3 weeks (started in San Jose, CA and went through the central route) and am planning this to be farther north.

Some of the places I've really enjoyed have been the national parks (Zion/Bryce/Rocky mountain) and on an earlier road trip Bend, Oregon and I do have the annual pass for parks.

Some places I have in mind:
    Black hills

Any recommendations of other places that I should check out?

Southern California

How much time do you have? The reason I ask: Chicago, Black Hills and Yellowstone are all on a fairly straight track -- but Banff is way off that track, so you'd have to have time to drive up there, and time to enjoy it, and I'm assuming you have a passport to be able to cross back and forth between USA and Canada. Also if you have the time, Grand Tetons is just south of Yellowstone. BTW, Yellowstone is a large park, and August is a busy time there. So plan on 2-3 days just to see the highlights of the park.

3. Default

I have 2 different scenarios as far as timing goes. If I can make it back by the 22nd that blwould be great (brother's 30th bday) but I already set the expectation that I likely would not be there. If I don't make it back by then I have 0 obligations as far as timing goes (other than running out of $ which I could likely go a few months before getting concerned about). Barring me getting tired of being in the road, I will almost definitely be getting back after the 22nd.

Yes, I have my passport.

Melbourne, Australia

Default From Banff.

If you are going as far as Banff, be sure to stop at Lake Louise.

Where are you crossing back into the US? You could include Glacier National Park on your way south to Yellowstone. If the route from West Glacier NP takes you through Missoula, allow some time at the National Bison Range, Moiese MT.