1. Default Trip from LA to Utah in Sept

Hi,
    We are planning a trip from LA to Utah hoping to see visit Zion, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, Arches and Canyonlands National Parks starting Sept 5 for the next 7 days. Can we see all these parks in 7 days? What other attractions would you suggest other than these? Also on the way coming back we would like to take a different route and may be see some other natural beauties. We have never done this trip so we don't know what is doable and what is not. We also don't know which cities along the way to spent the night. Your advise and ideas are greatly appreciated.
    Thank you so much for your time

Default A bit rushed.

Hi and welcome back !

The natural route coming back would be to go through Monument valley to the Grand canyon south rim, although you wouldn't have a lot of time in each place. LA to Springdale UT would set you up for a day in Zion before exiting the park towards Bryce canyon. Bryce can be seen in a half a day and give you enough time to continue to Torrey. From there you could visit Capitol Reef and drive to Moab and spend 2 nights allowing a full day for Arches and Canyonlands. From Moab you would drive through Monument valley to GC and from there back to LA, but that's all going to be pretty rushed and perhaps leaving Arches and Canyonlands for another day would be worth considering. That or try and add a day or two.

Did you do your previous trip ?

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Hi and welcome back !

The natural route coming back would be to go through Monument valley to the Grand canyon south rim, although you wouldn't have a lot of time in each place. LA to Springdale UT would set you up for a day in Zion before exiting the park towards Bryce canyon. Bryce can be seen in a half a day and give you enough time to continue to Torrey. From there you could visit Capitol Reef and drive to Moab and spend 2 nights allowing a full day for Arches and Canyonlands. From Moab you would drive through Monument valley to GC and from there back to LA, but that's all going to be pretty rushed and perhaps leaving Arches and Canyonlands for another day would be worth considering. That or try and add a day or two.

Thank you so much for the reply Dave. since we have been to GC before I think we would spend more time in the parks and just drive back the same route. As I am told by AAA it will take less time to drive on the freeway. I hope it is a good decision, what do you think? I agree with your good advise.
    About our last trip, I cannot thank enough all the people who replied to us. Thanks to all of you we had the best trip. we did cut some things out because of short of time but we had so much fun we want to do another road trip.
    Thank you once again.

Default Makes sense, but........

Keeping to Interstate [70/15] would certainly be quicker. However, Moab to LA is going to require an overnight stop on the way back whichever route and going down through Monument Valley to I40 would 'only' add 2 or 3 hours over the 2 days if you wanted a change of scenery. If you feel more comfortable heading back the way you came then that is the best choice, I'm just a bit 'strange' in not wanting to go over the same ground twice if I can help it. lol

Your post went into Moderation so I restored it and deleted the other.

5. Default

Thank you Dave, I like your advice and I am going to change the back trip accordingly. You are right, why go back the same way? I am working on making some changes. I will write back.
    Thank you so much.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Hi and welcome back !

Southwest Dave gave you a good itinerary for your allotted time but you must realize you aren't going to have much time at each location and will only be able to scratch the surface. Have you considered cutting out the two parks in Moab to have more time in the three other parks?

Something else to keep in mind is you are starting your trip on Labor Day weekend. Zion is very crowded on a normal weekend and a holiday weekend is even worse! Shuttle buses are packed and you might have to wait for another one. Even if you did the trip in reverse you would have to deal with Arches over the holiday weekend and on Memorial Day weekend this year the highway patrol closed the park entrance because the back up was so bad it was impacting traffic on Hwy 191.

Utahtea

Quote Originally Posted by Utahtea View Post
    Something else to keep in mind is you are starting your trip on Labor Day weekend.
    Be sure you book your accommodation a.s.a.p. or you could be staying a long way from a park.

... on Memorial Day weekend this year the highway patrol closed the park entrance because the back up was so bad it was impacting traffic on Hwy 191.
    Wow! That sounds like some back up. Hard to visualise.

Lifey

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Utahtea View Post
    ... on Memorial Day weekend this year the highway patrol closed the park entrance because the back up was so bad it was impacting traffic on Hwy 191.

Utahtea

Wow! That sounds like some back up. Hard to visualise.

Lifey

Check it out! They said at one point it was backed up to the Potash Road! http://www.moabsunnews.com/news/arti...=image&photo=0

And it wasn't that many years ago that they moved the entrance that was near the sand dune on the almost blind curve or Hwy 191.

Utahtea