1. Default Newfoundland, Canada to Rhode Island

My wife and I are planning a Motorcycle road trip in July 2016, leaving Newfoundland, Canada traveling down the Eastern Seaboard as far as Rhode Island, and back, we are looking to do a loop and would like to travel the most scenic routes, with points of interest in between.
    has anyone done this or parts of it, that may have any advice on roads, routes, and places that are a must see.

Thank You

Southern California

Welcome to RTA!

A couple of questions back at you, so we can help you a little better: How long do you have for the trip? and....Do you have paper maps?

In Maine, if you follow US-1, you are in for a very scenic journey. Acadia National Park is along the way, too.

3. Default

Thank you ,,, we have two weeks, and right now I am using computer maps

Tucson, AZ

Default As Easy As 1,2,?

First, two weeks really isn't all that much time when you consider the surprising distances involved. People generally think of thousand mile RoadTrips as something associated with the wide open western states and provinces. But your round trip drive will add up to roughly 2,000 miles, and that's after whatever driving you have to do to get to the ferry terminal in Channel-Port aux Basques and then take the ferry to North Sydney. So you're looking at needing three to four days each way just for the drive, leaving you only about seven days for sight seeing and to spend in Rhode Island. Also remember that if your looking for "scenic routes, with points of interest in between", then you're going to be generally avoiding the few Interstate/Autoroute highways available to you.

That said, the backbones of two possible routes up (west to Rhode Island) and down (east back home) would be US-1 and US-2. Now obviously, you can't stick strictly to those routes but if you were to follow US-1 from your entry into the US at St.Stephen/Calais down to the NH/ME state line, that is a scenic route that would set you up for a number of small detours onto the rugged peninsulas that jut into the Atlantic along the Maine Coast. As mentioned, Acadia National Park is one of those great little detours, but there are certainly others (more later). Then between NH and RI, you could check out Cape Ann north of Boston and Boston itself or, if time is running short, simply bypass Boston using I-495. I-95/MA-128 may look like the shorter route, but you'll find I-495 more relaxing.

For the other route, described here northeast bound although you can do either route in either direction, US-2 would work as the major route. But note that US-2 comes nowhere near Rhode Island. You'd start then by heading north from RI on I-495 again, but then taking NH-16 north into the White Mountains to Gorham and take US-2 east from there to Bangor where ME-9 will take you the rest way back to Calais/St. Stephen. Unfortunately, there are few alternate routes for you to use in New Brunswick or Nova Scotia, with NB-1 and NS-104/NS-105 being pretty much it. But I would suggest that you look into possibly including Prince Edward Island on one of your legs. If you do, it would make more sense to include it on the outbound leg because it is cheaper to cross onto the island by the ferry and return by the bridge than vice versa.

Finally, for some ideas of what's available throughout New England in the way of places to see and things to do, check out the discussions linked to in this post. I think you'll find it easier to get a good overview of where things are and how they're connected with a good set of paper maps, but computer maps do have their place in initial planning stages where seeing multiple options quickly is a benefit. However, as noted at the beginning, distances are long and time is short. Be very suspicious of the time estimates that you computer software will give you. They are pure fantasy based on a number of false assumptions. At a minimum add 20-25% to those drive times to get a more realistic guesstimate. And then add time for stops at attractions along the way.

Last edited by AZBuck; 08-08-2015 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Typos

5. Default

Thank You, planning the trip is the hardest part

Melbourne, Australia

Default Try another way.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Basha View Post
    Thank You, planning the trip is the hardest part
    Not really if you use good detailed maps such as those produced by Rand McNally and the CAA/AAA. Detailed maps have a wealth of information you will never see within the limitations of a small screen. It will allow you to choose from the myriad of roads/routes available to you, as well as most attractions - natural, historical, touristy, etc.

Here's a paragraph which may make it easier for you:

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck
    Start with maps. Not GPS, not software, not Google, but real honest-to-god paper maps that show you your entire route, that you can mark up (and erase), that you can stick pins in, and that show something about the land you'll be driving through. Those are your essential tool in any RoadTrip planning process. Start by marking all the places you know you want to visit. Then connect the dots. Then look for more places of interest and scenic routes along the lines connecting the dots. Repeat until you've got as many sites and roads as you think you want.

Good maps are invaluable during the planning of a trip, and essential when on the road.