1. Default Boston to LA in August

We are driving Boston to LA in one week (August) and want to see a couple of sights on the way, including the Grand Canyon; older van, so want to avoid extreme heat and excessive mountains. Northern route seems many mountains, southern goes through desert. Ideas/?

Melbourne, Australia

Default Take it easy and you'll be right

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

Having driven this route quite a few times in all sorts of vehicles, including an old bomb (lol), you should not have too much trouble so long as you don't push the van beyond its capabilities. With a week at your disposal for a trip which could be done in five long days on the road, you have the flexibility not to have to push it uphill, but just put it in a lower gear and take your time.... as so many of the trucks do.

My favourite route is I-90 to I-84 to I-81 to I-80 to I-71 to I-70 to I-15. I-70 through CO and UT has to be the most scenic interstate in the country, with lots of pull offs to enjoy the views. I would also recommend you consider going over Loveland Pass in CO, it is a beautiful drive with amazing views.

Joplin MO

If you want to avoid the Colorado mountains, you can take I-44 out of STL to I-40 to I-15. Not as scenic and probably hotter.

If you take I-70 through UT, be aware there are no services between Green River and Salina - 108 miles. There's no cell coverage on that stretch either.