1. Default San Fran to Chicago

We are planning an October trip from San Francisco to Chicago. I've driven across I-80 and would like to drive a northern route (90 or segments of it? Any advice/suggestions are appreciated.

Joplin MO

Welcome to RTA!

Sure - if you want to stick to primarily Interstates, take I-5 to Portland, I-205 around the east side to I-84. Take that east to Umatilla and take I-82 west to US-395. Take that north through kennewick to Ritzville to pick up I-90. In eastern MT, you can either stay on I-90 all the way or take I-94 through MSP and back to I-90, the drive times are pretty equal unless you hit MSP at rush hour.

Now - here's a southern alternative. Take I-80 to Fernley NV, then Alt-50 to Fallon and US-50 to Salina UT, then I-70 to Denver. Then you can either take I-76 to I-80, or stay on I-70 to STL and I-55 to Chicago. If you do this, watch your fuel carefully - there is very little fuel between Fallon and Ely (Austin and Eureka, not 24 hour and expensive), and Ely to Salina (I think Baker may have fuel and so does Delta). There is no fuel between Salina and Green River.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Multiple routes available.

Of course, if you looked on a proper paper map you would see all the routes available to you from which you can choose. There is no need to stick to what electronics throw up to you. (Do not leave home without good maps.)

If this were me, I'd be inclined to take the route glc outlined. I have travelled that route multiple times and with all there is along the way, never get tired of it.

South of England.

Default Not much to go on.

How much time do you have for the trip ? Is it about getting there asap or do you wish to sightsee ? If so, what are your interests and who are we ? A couple, family, group of friends ?

5. Default

Thanks for the info. My wife and I are meeting my sister in SF and driving back. We have about a week and hope to see parts of this beautiful country where we've never been.
    I'll be researching; but the opportunity to hear from so many of you is a BIG help.