- We'll be taking my 2015 GMC Denali Sierra pickup (winter picture), plenty of power, lots of space inside and in the backseat, Fold-A-Cover on the back and will put some items in totes due to dust. It's not 100% waterproof, but about 95%. Me and the wife and twins all together. Wifi will be on, GPS, traffic, weather via SiriusXM and will schedule some baseball games to pass the time. Want to test out E85 gas when we get out west. Will be hitting a Geocache in each state I don't currently have, hope to find some GRC's (Guard Rail Cache) to make it quick.
- Girls are going to keep a log book and help me with the atlas, figuring out where we are, etc.
- 11 day drip, heading from Maine on Thursday night to Niagra Falls (will get there in the week hours of Friday), hang out there Friday morning, then hit the road.
- Will try to get from Niagra to Gary Indiana, or South West of Chicago and stay over.
- Next day to Fargo, ND, heading out through ND, back through SD (more sights to see, from what I read).
- Going to hit Teddy Roosevelt Park on the way out of ND, hammer down and get as close to Missoula as possible. Finish it the next day or whatever.
- Couple days with my sister at her house in Missoula, MT.
- Head out after a couple days, Little Bighorn, Devil's Tower, head over to Deadwood if possible in one day's trip.
- Crash (not literally of course), head out the next day to Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Badlands Scenic Byway and get as far as we can, maybe to the Corn Palace.
- Next day Lewis and Clark Rest Area, World's largest six pack, etc.
- Sissy the Cow, maybe Lake Shore Drive in Cleveland.
- From there, hammer down and try to rip back to Maine.
Any advice? Last major roadtrip was when we went to Bristol, Charlotte, Martinsville back in the late 90's and early 2000's when we used to rip overnight to go to the Nascar races, then hammer back after the race.
Wish me luck and any advice on cool things to see, please let me know. I have my 2016 Rand McNally Road Atlas all ready to rock with the routes and will have waypoints in the GPS in the Denali. EZ Pass will work until Illinois, not sure how many tolls past that?
Plan on packing a 5 gallon gas can in a tote in the back of the truck, is that over-thinking it? Any other needs? I have my truck pretty much stocked with the regular air compressor, first aid kits, etc.
I have Choice Hotels and Best Western Rewards ready to go, we'll figure out how far I can drive and start calling on reservations based on the AAA hotel ratings.
I had a friend tell me in an 80mph stretch, don't go 5-8 over like I do in Maine, if you go over 82mph they will pull you over, is this true? Gas milage must stink bigtime at this speed?
Hoping my wife and I don't have a major meltdown, there are occasions when we fight in the truck, not crazy, but she's not the most natural co-pilot.
Wish me luck...