1. Default February road trip from San Diego

My wife and I have two weeks in February next year. We would very much welcome suggestions for a road trip starting and ending in San Diego. Perhaps in a motor home although we have no experience of this and wonder about weather conditions. All suggestions gratefully received. Thanks in anticipation

Default Where to start.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

You have much to choose from and you really need to search around the site and look at a map to get an idea of what appeals. This thread has quite a few ideas. You could head to the Grand Canyon, perhaps into southern Utah to Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce and Zion NP's via Monument valley before heading back down through Vegas, Death valley and LA. You could visit the Sierra Nevada and Sequoia and Yosemite NP's but parts of these parks won't be accessable due to snow and there is a chance you would need snow chains. San Francisco and the coast around Big Sur could create a nice loop with some of the above, but ultimately it's up to you and your tastes. Once you have a few dots on the map we can certainly help to fill in the blanks and offer some suggestions.

An RV might not be the best choice at this time of year, especially if you head for the mountains as you may have to winterize it, meaning no water on board. It certainly would not be the cheaper option, a car and Motels for 2 people will be much more economical, again it's a personal choice. Unfortunately the weather is like everywhere else, totally unpredictable untill you are a few days away.

Do a little research and 'as and when' questions come up, just ask. Enjoy the planning !

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by RaymieUK View Post
    My wife and I have two weeks in February next year. We would very much welcome suggestions for a road trip starting and ending in San Diego. Perhaps in a motor home although we have no experience of this and wonder about weather conditions. All suggestions gratefully received. Thanks in anticipation
    Since you ask about a motor home I'm going to assume you are interested in parks and the outdoors.

If you want to have warm weather I'd stick to places like Death Valley National Park where there are a lot of great hikes and neat places to explore. You could easily spend 5 - 7 days here. Anza-Borrego Desert State Park is an option too. If you are lucky you could hit the wild flower season....but there are no guarantees when or if they will have a good season. Joshua Trees National Park is another option. Valley of Fire State Park in Nevada has a great campground and enough hikes to keep you busy for a few days.

Zion National Park can be iffy as far as weather and snow even at 4,000+ ft elevation. We were there once in February and there was several inches of snow on the grown when we arrived but the weather was pretty nice. We took a campsite for several days and then we went to move the snow had melted but ICE had formed under our rear tire on the motorhome and we had the hardest time getting out of that site! It also snowed on us while we were there...I felt so bad for the tent campers!

The N. Rim of the Grand Canyon will be closed and the S. Rim has an average elevation of around 7,000 feet so you can get snow here too.

Bryce at 8,000+ feet will definitely have snow but the park is open all year so the roads are cleared. Not sure I'd want to take a motor home there in February.

Yosemite is beautiful in the winter but I would not take a motorhome in there. They clear the campground sites but only single vehicle wide so you walk out on snow!

We've never winterized our motorhome and have camped where it was in the low twenty's at night. We have insulation we add to the dumping compartment and we leave the water dripping in the motorhome all night to prevent freezing the pipes. It is a challenge and if you have a rental you don't want to cause any damage so I'd recommend not renting a motorhome for winter areas.

Utahtea

4. Default

Folks this is so helpful!!! Thank you we appreciate. Looks like the motor home isn't an option.
    We are just at the planning stage so we will build on your thoughts. We are in Baja California to whale watch and we do want to take advantage of the many wonders in your great country. Cheers

Default Getting started.

Here's a great paragraph which will help get you started.

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck
    Start with maps. Not GPS, not software, not Google, but real honest-to-god paper maps that show you your entire route, that you can mark up (and erase), that you can stick pins in, and that show something about the land you'll be driving through. Those are your essential tool in any RoadTrip planning process. Start by marking all the places you know you want to visit. Then connect the dots. Then look for more places of interest and scenic routes along the lines connecting the dots. Repeat until you've got as many sites and roads as you think you want.
    We are in Baja California to whale watch and we do want to take advantage of the many wonders in your great country.
    From that comment I take it you do not live in the US. If you are not able to get maps locally, check out the RTA store at the bottom of this page and order a Rand McNally Road Atlas. There is no better. You will have it in a couple of weeks.

Lifey

6. Default

Lifey thank you- a great philosophy!!