Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Upstate NY to Orlando Road Trip- Husband & Three Teenage Daughters

Hi all! I'm technically new to the forum, however I've been lurking for a while now. I just wanted to see if I could get some advice from my fellow travelers. This August, my husband and I plan on taking our daughters on a trip to Florida. Their ages are 13, 15, and 21 (special needs). Our oldest is obsessed with everything Disney, so we thought Orlando would be the perfect place.

I'm a veteran road trip girl. I've driven from NY to Orlando, NY to Dallas, etc countless times. However, this was always just myself and friend, not three teenagers in the back. I took a look at airline prices plus car rental prices, and I can't imagine paying so much for a trip that we could easily drive. Plus, we have family in NC and SC that we'd like to stop and see along the way.

So here's my question- we broke the trip down and back into three days. The reason for this is that I was recently in an accident and am not sure how much driving I'll feel well enough to do. So my hubby may have to take on most of the driving. Also, my step kids have never been on a car ride longer than 6 hours. Does this seem attainable? Our plan for getting there is below and we plan on doing the same thing coming back.

Day 1

10 am- leave NY

8 pm - arrive in Fredericksburg, VA

Day 2

11am- leave Fredericksburg,VA

8pm- arrive in Manning, SC

Day 3

11am- leave Manning, SC

6pm- Arrive in Orlando, FL

Thanks so much and Happy 4th of July!

Welcome to RTA!

I can't comment about your first day, because I'm not exactly sure where you're departing from. But Day 2 and Day 3 come in at about 400 miles. That's roughly 7-8 hours in the car, depending on how much you stop for gas, food, and going to the bathroom.

How I dealt with teenagers in the car was to tell them how many miles we anticipated going, approximately how long it would take us, and make sure you have stuff to do in the vehicle. I also let them know where I expected to stop for gas and food. When it was my own teenagers in the vehicle, they had a little more lee-way about asking for pit stops, but they knew that daddy was a stickler and we didn't lally-gag around rest areas.

I always found that a pool or other enticement at the other end of the trip was a great motivator, such as the feast that Grandma put on when we were rolling in. :-)

Donna

Default Keeping Young Women Engaged and Other Tips

There's probably one rule above all others to keeping teenagers and even younger children engaged and invested in a RoadTrip rather than just quiet "in the back". That is to make the trip theirs as much as is reasonably practical. No, they can't decide on the pace, or where you'll spend your overnight stops, or how fancy meals will be, and other things that you'll be paying for. But 400 miles a day is a very easy pace even for just one driver and allows you to spend about two or three hours outside the car between a day's starting and ending points. As an example of such stops (also very helpful to the driver) check out the ones listed here. But there are many such places. Give your girls a good set of maps and show them your basic route. Then let them pick a couple of stops a day that they'd like to see. Just hold them to a few simple rules. The places have to be within a short distance of the main route. They have to be free, or the 'picker' has to be willing to pay. They have to be generally acceptable to everyone. With a couple of such stops, plus a stop for lunch. Each day turns into just a series of two hour drives rather than a long slog. And remind them that they get to pick different stops on the way down and the way back.

A couple of other general notes. You seem to be leaving quite late each day. Departures more in the range of 8-9 AM would leave you more time to enjoy stops during, and break up, the drive. You probably will be in the car and driving for about eight hours each day, but that still leaves you a good six hours (after sleep, morning 'get going', and evening 'wind down' time) for all your stops including fuel, bathroom, meal, and R&R breaks. Spending half of your available out-of-car time before you even get started each morning will just make the job of your solo driver that much harder.

If you are willing to forego staying with family on the way down or back, you can take a significantly different route with only a minimal penalty in terms of driving time, only about an hour. That alternative route (described north-bound) would have you leaving I-95 in South Carolina and taking I-26 to Columbia, then I-77 up into Virginia, and I-81 the rest of the way up to Binghamton NY and beyond to wherever your home in 'upstate New York' is. Again, as Donna pointed out, it's tough to give accurate directions and advice when we don't know where you're starting from.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 07-06-2015 at 07:16 AM.

4. Default

Hi Donna,

Thanks so much for your reply! We're actually leaving from Chester, NY. I think that's a wonderful idea and will definitely help me deal with the girls. Hopefully, everything will turn out fine :) .

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    There's probably one rule above all others to keeping teenagers and even younger children engaged and invested in a RoadTrip rather than just quiet "in the back". That is to make the trip theirs as much as is reasonably practical. No, they can't decide on the pace, or where you'll spend your overnight stops, or how fancy meals will be, and other things that you'll be paying for. But 400 miles a day is a very easy pace even for just one driver and allows you to spend about two or three hours outside the car between a day's starting and ending points. As an example of such stops (also very helpful to the driver) check out the ones listed here. But there are many such places. Give your girls a good set of maps and show them your basic route. Then let them pick a couple of stops a day that they'd like to see. Just hold them to a few simple rules. The places have to be within a short distance of the main route. They have to be free, or the 'picker' has to be willing to pay. They have to be generally acceptable to everyone. With a couple of such stops, plus a stop for lunch. Each day turns into just a series of two hour drives rather than a long slog. And remind them that they get to pick different stops on the way down and the way back.

A couple of other general notes. You seem to be leaving quite late each day. Departures more in the range of 8-9 AM would leave you more time to enjoy stops during, and break up, the drive. You probably will be in the car and driving for about eight hours each day, but that still leaves you a good six hours (after sleep, morning 'get going', and evening 'wind down' time) for all your stops including fuel, bathroom, meal, and R&R breaks. Spending half of your available out-of-car time before you even get started each morning will just make the job of your solo driver that much harder.

If you are willing to forego staying with family on the way down or back, you can take a significantly different route with only a minimal penalty in terms of driving time, only about an hour. That alternative route (described north-bound) would have you leaving I-95 in South Carolina and taking I026 to Columbia, then I-77 up into Virginia, and I-81 the rest of the way up to Binghamton NY and beyond to wherever your home in 'upstate New York' is. Again, as Donna pointed out, it's tough to give accurate directions and advice when we don't know where you're starting from.

AZBuck

Hi AZ,

Thanks for the great advice! We're actually leaving from Chester, NY. That's a great idea and will definitely help to break up the drive of DH. Also, the girls will love it as they'll feel more involved. We may consider taking I-81 instead of NJ turn pike down on to 95 etc.

Leaving earlier sounds like a much better plan! I was just concerned that trying to get everyone awake in the morning would be a little too unrealistic for them lol. It will also give us more time for excursions along the way.

I was just concerned that trying to get everyone awake in the morning would be a little too unrealistic for them lol.
    Let them bring a pillow and sleep (sitting up leaning on something etc) while you drive. It worked for my daughters, and for the high-school'ers I used to haul around - 500 miles one way, for one competition.

Donna

Default The comfort of one's own pillow.

Our children always had their own pillow in the car on a long trip. It was not unusual to see one or two nodding off at any one time.

To what extend does your special needs child eat into your preparation time to get on the road each day? However, like Buch, I do suggest you start - and finish - earlier every day. I always found that after 6pm children of all ages become more restless.

That accident must have really shook you up. I hope you can at least take short turns behind the wheel, to get your confidence back.

Have a safe trip.

Lifey

8. Default

Hi Lifey,

Thanks so much for your reply! Luckily, she doesn't eat too much into our preparation time. I think leaving earlier is definitely the plan. And thanks so much!

9. Default Upstate NY to Key West - 13 days. Can it be done?

Hi Everyone,

We're already planning for another road trip :) . DH and I would like to to take a road trip in late August from upstate NY ( Orange County, hour or so north of NYC) to Key West in late August. We have approximately 13 days for this trip. With two drivers, could we realistically make it down there in 3 days? And drive back in 3 days? That would give us 6/7 days to enjoy ourselves. We're willing to go somewhere else in FL as long as it's beachy, but I've always had my heart set on Key West. Any and all feedback appreciated :)

Moderator Note: Please keep all questions about the same trip in the same thread.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 07-26-2015 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Merged Threads

Default within range

3 Days is the minimum amount of time needed to get from Chester NY to Key West, coming in at about 1500 miles. Considering the slow pace of the road across the Keys, you'd probably want to cover a bit more than 500 miles the first two day, so you're looking at around 10 hours on the road each day to make it happen.

Are you now planning to leave the kids at home? You didn't mention them in your most recent post.