Thread: California

Default California

Had a great holiday this year based on advice from this site (although one of the highlights unmentioned was the Harley museum in Milwalkie)

I am trying to plan a road March 2016 in California. I like the US (despite the fact that most people seem to think I come from Boston from my accent!!)

No idea at this time on a particular route. Probably fly into San Diago and back to Uk from a different airport (San Fran, LA or else where not overly fussed as long as it is a BA flight)

Want to visit friends in Santa Barbara and also San Fran (would like South Caralina but that's the other side of the your great country)

I have no other thoughts at this stage. Not overley fussed about Las Vegas (been there twice and won a lot of money, but probably third time unlucky)

I have about 3-4 weeks.

Any advice welcomed

Joplin MO

Welcome back!

I'd recommend you make a "loop" trip out of it, airfares and car rentals will be less expensive, find the city that offers the best deals. Whichever city you choose, I'd recommend you plan out your route to travel along the coast from north to south, that way the scenic pullouts along the coast road will be on your side of the road. That way, you won't have to cross traffic entering and leaving.

3 to 4 weeks is enough time to see the whole west part of the country, just be aware that in March the high country will still be in winter mode and not fully accessible (examples - Yellowstone, Glacier, Yosemite, Crater Lake).

South of England.

Default Just California or more.

With 3-4 weeks you have plenty of options and I would second the loop trip as it often works out that it's actually easier to see a number of places than a one way trip. If you wanted to concentrate your trip in Cali then you could head north on the west side of the Sierras and visit Sequoia and Yosemite NP and possibly Lake Tahoe and Lassen Volcanic NP before heading across to the coastal Redwoods and back down the coast via San Francisco etc. If you wanted to venture out of California then you could look to head out towards the Grand canyon, Monument valley and then up into Southern Utah where you have the great National parks of Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Bryce canyon and Zion NP from where you could head across to Tahoe and then the coast. Note that the popular route into Yosemite NP which is the Tioga Pass [CA120] will be closed when you travel so any plans to visit there will have to be from the west side of the park.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Maps?

On your previous trips, did you by any chance obtain and take home a road atlas or individual maps of the west coast States. If not, may I suggest that you now obtain a Rand McNally road atlas for 2016. They are available from the store at the bottom of this page. You will have it in a couple of weeks.

Good maps such as those show not only roads and cities, but all major and some minor attractions along the way. Natural, historical and touristy attractions.

Maybe this paragraph says it better than I can:

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck
    Start with maps. Not GPS, not software, not Google, but real honest-to-god paper maps that show you your entire route, that you can mark up (and erase), that you can stick pins in, and that show something about the land you'll be driving through. Those are your essential tool in any RoadTrip planning process. Start by marking all the places you know you want to visit. Then connect the dots. Then look for more places of interest and scenic routes along the lines connecting the dots. Repeat until you've got as many sites and roads as you think you want.
    Many of us prefer to travel with multiple maps (as well as gps). If you are a member of your local automobile club, be sure to bring your membership with you, it will give you access to free maps and tourism information from the AAA in the US.