Default I-10 Closed Completely and Indefinitely in Southeast California

More bad news for travelers in Southern California, I-10 is closed in both directions near Joshua Tree National Park, due to a Bridge Collapse and Flooding. Essentially, it means the freeway is closed from Indio to Blythe, and due to it's remote location, there are no easy detours around it. Best I can see, drivers can use CA-86 to CA-76 or CA-62 to either US-95 or AZ-95. Although, many travelers would be wise to look changing their routes to use either I-8 or I-40.

Highway crews are still trying to get an idea of what it will take to reopen the freeway, and it doesn't look like there are any short term fixes.

Of course, this is on top of the Wildfire that destroyed several cars on I-15 between LA and Vegas just 2 days earlier. I-15 is now reopened, however.

Default Bad timing for the fire in Baldy Mesa

Certainly is wild weather in So California. If that rain had started Friday morning there would have been no fire on the I-15. Everything is pretty damp this morning.

It is dry where Megan and I are today -- heading into Teddy Roosevelt National Park in a couple of hours...

Mark

We are getting hit in both directions. Fire is not uncommon for us, particularly at this time of the year. But rain???? In July???? To the extent that it is causing flooding, washed out bridges, and the like??? Amazing!!!! Perhaps we are seeing the beginning of the El Nino year they've been praying for.

Other possible routing, could work: Take the 62 at Palm Springs, east, all the way to Vidal Jct and across the river to Parker. Catch AZ 72/95 south to Quartzsite, where one can catch an open section of I-10. There is also a road that goes from North Shore of the Salton Sea, across to Ripley CA, but I could not attest to its suitability for general traffic.

Locally, they're saying that westbound traffic is being diverted via the route I suggested (95 and 62). Eastbound, they're sending the traffic south at Indio to catch I-8, and suggesting they go back to I-10 via US-95.

If one is trying to go from LA to Phoenix, I would suggest diverting south even earlier, but the shortcut route to Phoenix does NOT include US-95. If one is going to the West or North side of the Valley of the Sun, one could take AZ-85 north at Gila Bend to the I-10 east. If one is going to the East or South side of the Valley, one should take the following route from I-8: AZ-84 Stanfield Rd exit, head east. At AZ-347, turn north (left turn). Stay on that for about 28 miles, passing through Reservation land and the town of Maricopa. It takes you right to I-10 "west" (though you are technically going north at that point) into the Valley of the Sun. This is the route I use to get to my folks house - they live in East Valley.

Donna

CA-86 to CA-76
    I think you meant CA-86 to CA-78, but that's not an option now - CA-78 is also washed out east of Brawley.

There is also a road that goes from North Shore of the Salton Sea, across to Ripley CA, but I could not attest to its suitability for general traffic.
    Not suitable, that's the Bradshaw Trail and it's unpaved. The BLM recommends 4wd due to stretches of soft sand. I would imagine it's completely impassible right now due to mud.

I think the only viable alternates right now are I-8 and I-40.

Official detours:

Eastbound: CA-86 south to I-8 east to US-95 north.
    Optional eastbound: CA-62 east to CA-177 south. This is the shortest but expect very heavy traffic on 62.
    Westbound: US-95 north to CA-62 west.

You cannot take CA-177 north to CA-62 west going westbound because I-10 westbound is closed at Blythe. Eastbound is closed at CA-86.

The westbound bridge should be ready for traffic Friday and I assume they will cross eastbound traffic over to use it, one lane each direction.

One side of the bridge has been repaired and reopened, there's 1 lane open in each direction. Caltrans advises to expect 30 minute delays at peak traffic times.