1. Default NYC to YOSEMITE

Myself and three friends will be embarking on a two to three week journey across the United States ( by car) to Yosemite national park. I would love to hear people's past experiences making this 2700 mile journey, ie: pit stops , other parks along the route, cost cutting measures, etc.

All responses are welcomed and greatly appreciated !

Melbourne, Australia

Default To start with....

Hi, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

I can't think of better advice than the following paragraph:

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck
    Start with maps. Not GPS, not software, not Google, but real honest-to-god paper maps that show you your entire route, that you can mark up (and erase), that you can stick pins in, and that show something about the land you'll be driving through. Those are your essential tool in any RoadTrip planning process. Start by marking all the places you know you want to visit. Then connect the dots. Then look for more places of interest and scenic routes along the lines connecting the dots. Repeat until you've got as many sites and roads as you think you want.
    For cost cutting measures, spend a little time reading through this forum.

Two weeks will not give you much time to see things along the way. It is a full five day drive each way, by the most direct route. If you spend two or three days in Yosemite, your two weeks are up.

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

When you're talking about a trip that goes from coast to coast, it's not really possible to start laying out specific pit stops or other parks along the route - because there are thousands of route possibilities, and millions of places you could stop. We'd need more of a framework for what you have in mind.

For some very generic advice, I hope you can get closer to 3 weeks to make this trip more worth your time. 2 weeks would be a pretty rushed trip. You're going to need a bare minimum of 5 days, each way, to make this trip safely. Even that is long days on the road, with very little time to stop an explore along the way. For cutting costs, food is one big area where you can save. Shopping at Grocery Stores and Cooking your own meals can be much less expensive than eating at restaurants. A cooler really is an essential, and some sort of camp stove or grill is very nice to have. Camping is another place where you can look to save some money. However, saying that, sleep is essential on a trip like this, especially when you're going to have 4 people crammed into tight quarters all day long. Don't be tempted to "save money" by trying to sleep in the car, or drive through the night or anything along those lines. The little money you'd save will cost you 10 fold in making for a miserable trip, where no one can enjoy themselves.

South of England.

I agree with what has been said already, but that's presuming this is a round trip and not one way ? Having said that 3 weeks is always better than two no matter what !

If it is a return trip then look to take a different route each way so you get to see new places all the time. I would recommend that you take I70 and go through Colorado and Southern Utah one way, it has some great scenic drives and National parks, in the other direction the Grand canyon would be on most lists.