Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. Default traveling Seattle to Indiana

    Next year we are planning on driving our motorhome from Seattle to Indiana to have a reskin done Would like to drive it over first week in August and it would be ready for pickup in October before 15th I hope

    I tried to Google average pass conditions with no luck

    When is the latest you would drive a brand new painted 40 ft motorhome over the passes ?

    Dates are flexible haven't commuted yet but husband would like to salmon fish on July if possible.

    Thanks for any advice you can offer
    Last edited by AZBuck; 07-16-2015 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Formatting

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Green County, Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,063

    Default

    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

    The Interstates are open year round, and Semi Trucks larger than your RV are going over those passes every day of the year. In the case where you see severe winter weather, they will shut the passes down, but even in the worst storms, they are usually open again within a day or two.

    As long as you give yourself some extra time, that would allow you to wait for a storm to pass, there's no reason you couldn't make this trip in January or February without any problems.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Joplin MO
    Posts
    9,270

    Default

    Welcome to RTA!

    What is your exact concern? The passes on Interstate highways are kept open as close to 24/7/365 as possible, trucks and busses use them every day.

  4. Default

    With a new paint job we really don't want to deal with snow ice or hail storms

    Plus need to get back to work relatively quick
    Basically trying to choose a time with no storms on average

    Thanks

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    9,358

    Default Unfortunately

    "No storms on average" simply doesn't exist, and even if it did it would be nowhere near the same thing as "No storms while I'm driving." The fact is that your rig won't be ready until October. That is already late enough in the season that you will have a reasonable chance of hitting winter weather no matter which (reasonable) way you go. As the other two responders have already pointed out, time available for the drive is much more important than the time of year when you make the drive. If you want to preserve your new paint from the weather and road hazards associated with it, you'll need the extra time so that you can be off the road when you think you need to be.

    AZBuck

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Green County, Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,063

    Default

    Then you're kind of asking the impossible - There really isn't any time of year when you won't have a significant chance of either a Thunderstorm (hail) or a Winter Storm (snow and ice).

    Of course, averages don't mean much anyway when it comes to planning a specific trip anyway. On average, it might be rare to see a winter storm in early October, but that won't mean much if you plan a trip in early October and hit an early season blizzard when you are on the road.

  7. Default

    I totally understand mother nature is unpredictable and we are flexible on time no appointment made for work yet

    Maybe mid September would be a better time

    Thanks again

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Green County, Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,063

    Default

    The point is that the weather is going to be, what it's going to be. If you try to plan your way around what you think might happen, you might end up being right, but it's just as likely that things don't work out like you planned. If you go in September, you might avoid snow, but instead run into a severe Thunderstorm.

    Personally, I wouldn't plan to pick up in September, if that means you have to skip out on a fishing trip in July (which is what you implied in your first post). The fishing trip is the only thing you can control - so I'd feel pretty silly if I canceled that trip, with the goal of having better weather later, only to end up still seeing bad weather (especially if the weather was fine on a later date).

Similar Threads

  1. Traveling to Seattle, WA from Chicago, IL
    By apurkiss in forum Fall & Winter RoadTrips
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-15-2011, 09:30 PM
  2. Driving a trailer fron Indiana to Seattle
    By elcamion in forum Spring RoadTrips
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-20-2010, 05:20 AM
  3. Help Traveling Seattle - Kentucky
    By skor27 in forum Fall & Winter RoadTrips
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-26-2007, 07:58 PM
  4. Traveling From Seattle To Providence
    By Long_Tripper in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-23-2007, 01:15 AM
  5. Seattle -> South Bend Indiana
    By arboreal in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-09-2007, 01:51 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Find the Perfect Hotel
    Search RoadTrip Motels
    Enter city name

    Loading...



  • MORE STORIES