1. Default Road trip with 11 year old son

We will be leaving in 2 weeks from the Williamsburg area and heading West to Seneca Rocks WV. We plan on taking our time but if anyone else has taken this route, or parts of it, we are looking for cool places to stop with the 11 year old. We already do amusement parks and we live at the ocean, but we all love the outdoors.

Tucson, AZ

Default A Few to Consider

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

My grandson is about your son's age and also loves the outdoors. So here, for your own consideration, are a few places that I would plan to visit with him if we were making a similar trip. Start with Petersburg National Battlefield and its Eastern Front Visitor Center. Be sure to sign your son up for the Junior Ranger Program so that he not only learns more about the park and battle but also gets some very nice (and free!) souvenirs. Next up would be some time in Shenandoah National Park and driving along Skyline Drive. Again, sign up for the Junior Ranger Program and note the hiking trail that runs parallel to the drive along the crest of the Blue Ridge. You might also want to visit Grand Caverns a bit to the west of the Drive. And while it won't be as developed as the national parks or Seneca Rocks NRA, don't overlook George Washington National Forest as you drive through.

3. Default

Shenandoah National Park is absolutely fantastic for hiking. You can spend hours on the trails - there are over 500 miles of them - this site has the list of them, from easy to more challenging. The George Washington and Jefferson National Forests are also well worth a stop-off, and there are some nice trails and other recreational activities to enjoy. When traveling with your son make sure you add in more rest time than you would when just traveling with adults.