1. Default Gettysburg, DC,Frederick, Boston,Niagara Falls ect.

We are traveling for 14 days and are looking to see Gettysburg, George Washington's Mount Vernon, Washington DC, Frederick MD, Harpers Ferry National Park, Antietam National Battlefield, Great Falls National Park, Possible Fredericksburg VA, then Driving through New York up the coast to Rhode Island, stopping in Boston MA, then Driving to Niagara Falls, Stopping at Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on the way back home. Here are my questions for this trip: How many days should we spend in Gettysburg 1, 2 or 3 , we were thinking of getting a licensed Battlefield Guide, do you recommend a guide and if so there is 2, 3, 4 hours you can get, is there a benefit to a longer tour? I have read on the forum that Fredericksburg VA may want to be avoided, is this true? Is Valley Forge National Park worth making the trip to see. We would like to see Hershey Park if we have enough time but it is not a necessity. For Niagara Falls, it is really worth the extra money to get a room with a view of the falls? it seems like there are a lot of extra charges for rooms in Niagara Falls ON, is it better to stay on the US side, can you walk across the bridge from US side or better to drive? And last but not least is the Amish Heritage Trail in Indiana worth seeing all the floral quilts and quaint towns? I know that there a lot of questions in this post but we have never been to the East Coast and are unsure of traffic and using the Metra in Boston and DC. I assume that the parking arrangements at the metra stations are fairly safe... I hope. Any advise you may have for us would be great. We are traveling in September. Thanks in Advance.

Welcome to RTA forums!

Here are my questions for this trip: How many days should we spend in Gettysburg 1, 2 or 3 , we were thinking of getting a licensed Battlefield Guide, do you recommend a guide and if so there is 2, 3, 4 hours you can get, is there a benefit to a longer tour?
    There are licensed battlefield guides, and the Gettysburg website has links to them. Whether or not you use one, will depend a lot on you. My husband is quite knowledgeable and we decided to rely on 1) his knowledge, 2) reading the many, many signs that are out there, 3) spending a half day at the Visitor Center viewing the movie, seeing the Cyclorama (WOW!), and going through the extensive exhibits. In addition, to help me (not so knowledgeable), we sat and watched the 90s movie GETTYSBURG before we went, and a couple of other documentaries that we borrowed. Finally, we carried a Gettysburg field guide book with us, as well as the national park extensive brochure, while traveling the vehicle tour.

As far as how many days to spend in Gettysburg, that would also depend on your interest. My husband and I spent 2 days there. The first half day was spent completely in the Visitor Center. Had we read everything in that place, and seen every little video that was offered, we could have been in there for two days -- that's how extensive it was. The second half of the day was spent doing the Auto Tour as far as Big Round Top. Whenever there was a chance to get out and walk, we did. The second day, we started at Big Round Top, where we left off, and continued on, finishing out with the cemetery and Lincoln's podium area. We didn't stay for a third day because it would have been a Saturday (that's the way our vacation fell), but if we had, I think we'd have toured in the area around Gettysburg, and some of the sites that are NOT on the auto tour.

The only other comment I have about your trip - you didn't say where you are starting, or if you are a citizen of the US or of somewhere else. If you are a US citizen, make sure that you have a passport if you want to go over and see Niagara Falls from the Canadian side. As for whether a view window of the Falls is worth the money -- only you can answer that.

Donna

3. Default

Thank you Donna, that was very helpful info about Gettysburg. We will be traveling from the Chicago area, we did get our passports this spring so we should be good there. I appreciate your help