1. Default 2016 road trip from Portland OR through SD, MT, WY

We are in the process of planning a road trip from Portland with hopes of seeing Mt. Rushmore and surrounding areas in SD, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, and Glacier. We have a good amount of time, close to 3 weeks. More if needed. We are thinking that due to a reservation at Old Faithful Inn, middle of our time, we would go towards SD first via Coeur D' Alene, then head to Grand Tetons and Yellowstone via Nebraska. Then finally hit Glacier on the way home. My question is how many days are needed for each of these areas and is there anything that is a must see that we might not have though of?

South of England.

Default The loop.

Hello and welcome to RTA !

Nebraska ? I'm not sure where this fits into the equation ? From Coeur D'Alene I would have thought Glacier would be the next logical stop and then to SD before heading back to Yellowstone, which you should allow at least 3 or 4 days for exploring and then to the Tetons and then head back to Portland on a more southern route via Twin Falls and Boise, creating a nice loop. You could visit Craters of the Moon, Shoshone Falls and in Twin Falls, the Snake river canyon and Perrine bridge. Of course it depends on how much time you want to spend 'where', so you could reverse the route if it suits your timing better. If you are not 'Locals' to the Portland area you might also like to spend some time in the Columbia river Gorge. If the dates don't work for you, Yellowstone lodgings usually have a free cancellation policy and you should be able to book to suit your trip rather than trying to book your trip around a date.

3. Default

We are local to Portland. We added Nebraska as a cut through from SD to enter WY via Cheyenne. Also wanted to say we have been to Nebraska, might hit Carhedge. We are adding Glacier to the end as to not drive home along I-84 since we did that drive last year.

South of England.

I would plan for at least 2 nights at Glacier to give you a full day/day and a half and would recommend you spend your 2 nights on different sides of the park. The Many Glacier area to the east is very nice. We spent our second night at the Rising sun motor Inn by St Marys lake, which has basic but nice cabins, and then explored Many Glacier from there although there are options in Many Glacier. As I previously mentioned, 3 to 4 days at Yellowstone would give you time to enjoy the park and get to the many different areas, again it might help to book lodgings in different areas as the place is huge. Canyon is another good location as you are already staying at Old Faithful. The Tetons can be seen in a day quite comfortably but you can always spend longer. However you decide to break it up you probably have around 6 days dedicated to driving of your total trip time and although Rushmore doesn't require much time there are other attractions in the area to consider, you could go a little further and visit Badlands NP