Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Vancouver to LA then back to Edmonton

Hello All,

First time on the forums and I have only heard great things from friends who have used this forum for advice. I am going to be in Vancouver for a wedding August 23/2015. I was planning to start heading down to Seattle August 25 and eventually make my way to LA then back to Edmonton.

Places I was thinking of going to are (but not fixated) : Oregon, San Francisco, LA, Vegas, Salt Lake City. I am hoping to get some great suggestions from the community on places to stay along the way and where to go and what to see. I do hope to take a scenic route from Vancouver to LA but the ride home after Salt Lake can be home ASAP...

I was hoping to be home by September 3, please let me know if this is do able and what suggestions you have in doing this drive. Thank you in advance for your input

Default Not a lot of 'free' time.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Nine days isn't a heap of time for such a trip, it's a straight 3 day drive from LA back to Edmunton without much time for anything but rest breaks, if you want to spend time in Vegas and/or SLC then add to that. From Seattle to LA is a 2 day drive by Interstate and again, no real time for sight seeing and if you want to spend a day in LA, which is the very least to make it worth going that far, then a big chunk of your time is accounted for. I would consider going as far as SF and take a little more time to explore some of the places you will pass through. You could travel part of the Oregon coast and the Redwoods on the Cali coast and spend a day in SF before setting off home. You could go back through Oregon inland and visit Crater Lake, Mt Hood and perhaps the Columbia river gorge, or perhaps drive through Yosemite towards SLC and home. You have a lot of choices, but perhaps not as much time as you may think.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Nine days isn't a heap of time for such a trip, it's a straight 3 day drive from LA back to Edmunton without much time for anything but rest breaks, if you want to spend time in Vegas and/or SLC then add to that. From Seattle to LA is a 2 day drive by Interstate and again, no real time for sight seeing and if you want to spend a day in LA, which is the very least to make it worth going that far, then a big chunk of your time is accounted for. I would consider going as far as SF and take a little more time to explore some of the places you will pass through. You could travel part of the Oregon coast and the Redwoods on the Cali coast and spend a day in SF before setting off home. You could go back through Oregon inland and visit Crater Lake, Mt Hood and perhaps the Columbia river gorge, or perhaps drive through Yosemite towards SLC and home. You have a lot of choices, but perhaps not as much time as you may think.

Thank you Dave for the advice. This is currently what I am thinking. Please let me know where I can tweak it for rest and breaks

August 24 Vancouver to Seattle to Portland: 3 Hour drive to see Pike Place and continue on my way to Portland (3 Hour drive). This will be done by the evening of August 24

August 25 I will be driving from Portland to Crater Lake (4 Hours) and camping there until August 26 (11:00 am)

August 26 Crater Lake to San Francisco (6.5 hours). If I see stuff along the way I will stop there for a bit. I am not very keen in arrving into SF during rush hour. I will be in SF until the morning of August 28 (11:00 am)

August 28 Drive from SF to LA (6 hours) and same thing I will stop at places along the way. I will be in LA from August 28 to August 30 (11:00 am)

August 30 I will be driving from LA to Vegas (4 Hours) and staying the night

August 31 I will be driving Vegas to Mount Zion Park (2.5 hours) and camping until the morning of September 1
    September 1 Mount Zion to Salt Lake City (4.5 Hours) I was planning to be here until September 2 morning

September 2 I will be driving to Great Falls (8 Hours)

September 3 Driving home

If there is any place you suggest in between please do so and if you think this is a bit rushed or I need more rest please state so. I was thinking of maybe extending the trip for 2 more days but spend those days in the larger cities for rest and visiting

Thanks again for any input at all

Default Nevernind

Your proposed itinerary is quite busy but doable. You may have read some previous comments of mine about the last day being impossible, but that was my fault. For some reason I had it in my head that you were returning to Vancouver. With a return to Edmonton, this will all work just fine. You will be necessarily be passing by a great many sites that are worth the time and effort o check out, but it's time you won't have on this trip. Perhas in the future...

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 07-15-2015 at 06:30 PM.

It looks like you are getting your drive times from a computer - they are not realistic. You need to add 20% to reflect reality.

It would be a shame to blast down I-5 from SF to LA and not take the scenic route - CA-1. That is a full 2 day drive. That is where I'd add a day, not in the cities.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    It looks like you are getting your drive times from a computer - they are not realistic. You need to add 20% to reflect reality.

It would be a shame to blast down I-5 from SF to LA and not take the scenic route - CA-1. That is a full 2 day drive. That is where I'd add a day, not in the cities.
    I was wondering what other places could I check out if I stopped at San Francisco and made my way back to Edmonton?

7. Default

Another problem I am having is that I am okay to be loose with the schedule but the one thing I wonder is accommodations. I want to be able to plan some of those things here and get the best deal. It's going to be camping at Mount Zion and Crater Lake, San Francisco, LA will be AIRBNB, Hotels in Portland, Vegas, Salt Lake, Great Falls. What do you guys suggest.

Default Pike Place Market.

August 24 Vancouver to Seattle to Portland: 3 Hour drive to see Pike Place and continue on my way to Portland (3 Hour drive). This will be done by the evening of August 24
    Of course the highlight of Park Place is Pike Place Market, and the highlight in the market is the almost threatrical performance in the fish market. This does not go on all day, and it may be worth checking out what time, and aim to be there, at that time. It would be a pity to miss it.

There are many other great attractions in Seattle, but it looks like you will not have time for them.

May I suggest you look at crossing the border at Sumas, rather than on 99/I-5. It is nowhere near as busy and not all that far out of the way.

Lifey

For camping -- if you want to camp inside Crater Lake, get a reservation. Otherwise, there are national forest campgrounds right outside the park where you can pitch a tent, then drive into the park each day. Frankly, that's what we did years ago.

For hotel/motels: we don't worry about reservations except if we are going into a place on a summer weekend and/or a holiday weekend, or to a place near/in a national park area. Then we will get reservations. If we are just traveling down the highway, we will grab a coupon book that has motel deals in it, and use a likely looking one. (These days, admittedly, I'll grab my smartphone and go to the TripAdvisor app and check out the likely-looking motel's reviews, first.)

Donna

Default Coupon booklets and reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    (These days, admittedly, I'll grab my smartphone and go to the TripAdvisor app and check out the likely-looking motel's reviews, first.)
    I too use the coupon books when on the road, however, I have never bothered checking reviews, and only once had a room with which I was not happy. I was moved to a more suitable room. Let's face it, people are more likely to write a r4eview if they are unhappy. Reviews are nearly always slanted.

Lifey