1. Default Phoenix to Evergreen CO

Hi Everyone,
    I am new to this site, so thank you in advance for any advice you can give to me. I need to transport some dogs from a high kill shelter here in Phoenix, to a no kill shelter to Evergreen CO. I am a small female who will be driving alone. I want a safe route, not necessarily the fastest. I was thinking of going I 40 to Albuquerque and then shooting up I 25 to Evergreen. The other routes suggested to me seem to be in the middle of nowhere. Any ideas?

Southern California

Welcome to RTA!

The route you mentioned, I-17 to I-40 to I-25, is certainly as safe as you make it. Another thought, and not overtly lonely, would be to take the Superstition (60) out to Globe and Showlow. Along that route, you'll pass through the beautiful Salt River Canyon. At Showlow, catch AZ-77 up to Holbrook. At Holbrook, you can catch I-40 east. It's just under 500 miles, depending on your starting point in the Valley of the Sun, but through pretty country.

At Albuquerque, stay overnight on the north side of the city to avoid Rush Hour, if you aren't doing this on a weekend. The next day, it's almost all freeway through some very pretty country, less than 500 miles into Evergreen.

As a female traveling alone, always keep your wits about you. If something doesn't feel right, it probably isn't, so you're right to leave. When I was a bit younger, I used to take the route from Globe to Holbrook without issues. You may feel better if you have some sort of cell phone with you, and a road assistance program such as AAA or your vehicle's (if your car is fairly new).

Melbourne, Australia

Default Put your mind at ease.

Having now driven solo for almost 200000 miles in the USA and Canada, I am yet to find a highway which is not safe. All drivers on the road look for safe roads, as all want to be safe. If you stick to the interstates, or the other suggested routes, which I suspect would be the old US highways, you cannot go wrong. I would be inclined to take the shortest route with the minimum of overnight stops.

You may not be aware, but there are more solo female drivers on the road than males. Rarely if ever do you hear of anything going wrong, unless they are into illegal activities. You will have a few dogs with you, which should be a deterrent.

Be sure to only stay in hotel rooms where there is a lock on the inside which cannot be opened from the outside - such as the chain lock. Although with dogs present, I'd imagine they would alert you if by the remotest of chances there were to be an intruder. Whatever you do, do not carry a weapon. They are more likely to get you into trouble than out of it.

Have a safe trip.

Albuquerque, New Mexico

Default Dog-Friendly ABQ

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57
    At Albuquerque, stay overnight on the north side of the city to avoid Rush Hour, if you aren't doing this on a weekend.
    This is good advice. Albuquerque has grown to the point where rush hour traffic can really be a pain.

There is a nice, new dog park convenient to the I-25 North Corridor, and plenty of hotels in this area. For more information, you can take a look at ABQDog.

Have a great trip!
    Last edited by howard; 07-12-2015 at 04:27 PM.