1. Default Been working on roadtrip site, not sure if we should continue ...

Hi guys, I am a noob to this forum, saw it while searching for some road trips around Seattle.

Reason I'm posting is because my wife and I are engineers, we've have been hacking up a roadtripping tool/website on the side - it's been helpful for us, but we're not sure if it helps any other roadtrippers and we should just stop and work on something else.

Basically the premise is you can create sort of "instant" roadtrips really fast - the site shows you high quality photos of nearby attractions and then you save the ones that you like to a trip, and you can view your saved trips on a map. It's not like Tripadvisor, where you see the tourist spots, but you see more of the hidden gems because it's just places where people like to take photos.

I haven't linked the site here because that would be too spammy, if you want to see it just let me know. But we were hoping if anyone could tell us if this idea is actually useful? Our friends aren't much of roadtrippers, so they don't see the benefit to be honest.

We are NOT marketing trolls, this is NOT a marketing thing ... we're genuinely curious whether it makes sense to keep working on this site. We're just normal people - if you don't believe me, you can check us out on Facebook to confirm we're not ogres .. I'm "peng.shao.14" and my wife is "rock3m"

2. Default

As someone who is planning a road trip right now something like that would be handy. There are a few things out there, but I have had some issues with a few sources I have attempted to use, and I haven't seen any that showed photos like what you described. If you want to private message a link to me that would be really helpful in my current road trip plans.

Default Do you have a ROI value?

Quote Originally Posted by mykinator View Post
    Basically the premise is you can create sort of "instant" roadtrips really fast - the site shows you high quality photos of nearby attractions and then you save the ones that you like to a trip, and you can view your saved trips on a map.
    RoadTrip America already does most of that with the RTA Attractions -- -- There is no shortage of the need of good applications on the Web, but if the criteria you are pondering involves a ROI -- probably not the best use of your time....

Mark

Getting ready to retire and travel for a year via SUV. Two trips on Bucket List; one from New Mexico to Canada up the mountains and the other from home (Alabama) to Nova Scotia. Trips will be off main highways and untimed. We are very interested in your web site and when we actual begin our travel (about a year) we would be happy to contribute

Default Do that here as well.

Hi gborrello, and Welcome to the Great American Roadtrip Forum.

You know, you can contribute to this site as well. All attractions on RTA are contributed by the members who contribute their photos and impressions of the place.

Lifey

Default Well, not exactly.

Point of Clarification....

The RTA Attractions articles that are published on this site are created and written by one of the RTA Contributing Writers -- who prepare those articles according to a freelance writing agreement. The primary parameter is that any attraction, event, being considered for inclusion in these articles must be uniquely interesting to road trippers in some way.

RTA members can create as many Custom Places as they want for their use on their maps -- but there is no mechanism for them to submit RTA Attractions at this point in time. (And because of the parameters of the Contributing Writers Program, it's unlikely that we'll enable such submissions in the near or long term.)

If you are interested in becoming a contributing writer, please contact me.

Thanks,

Mark