1. Default First time rv trailer western states trip.

My wife and I are trying to plan a western states National Park trip in FY 2016, summer. We would like to see some of the familiar 'must sees' but would really like some in-put on lesser known gems. I'm thinking starting in New England and traveling west. My one limiting factor is a 30' camper hauled by a Ford Expedition with towing package. 9200lb gvw. Think we are at about 8000 lbs. Any thoughts on what we can or cannot do. (Went up thru the Appalachians with no problem, although 40 mph/flashers!) Would like to reach the Grand Canyon and then head east for the trip home. Thanks much!!
    Gordy and Andi

Default Well, that depends on a few things,...........

..........mostly, "what's your style?"

My assumption is that if you're towing a 30' tag-along camper, your overnights are going to all be at full-hookup RV parks--no dry camping/boondocking. And the reality is it's not likely you can get your rig in to some of the tight spots which smaller campgrounds offer.

So, many of the hidden gems which come to mind to me are inaccessible to your rig. You may, of course, decide on a base camp RV park and do some day-tripping from there, in which case your preferences concerning hiking, cycling, paddling, museum stops, shopping, etc, etc all come back into play. If you can add a few thoughts as to what you would find to be a hidden gem, you can likely get a lot of help here.

In terms of general access/navigation with your rig, I'll suggest you've already "run the gauntlet" in the Appalachians. To the greatest extent, the Western US highways are wider and much straighter than anything you saw in the Appalachians. You'll pull many a grade at 40 mph with your flashers on, but you'll often do so in a dedicated truck lane which represents a second lane for uphill traffic on a 2-lane or a third lane on a 4-lane highway. None of which is to say you cannot find tight spots out West, but I suggest they're fairly easy to avoid with some homework on your part.

Foy

It's going to be worse than 40 mph in the Rockies - the elevation is a lot higher than in the Appalachians. You are really pushing the capabilities of that non-turbocharged engine running that close to max gross. It might be worth buying a good programmer and a set of custom tunes from a reputable mail order tuning house. The tune to use would be an 87 octane towing tune. If you want more details on that, feel free to send me a private message.

4. Default Hello Fellow RV'er

Quote Originally Posted by gordonsswiftjr View Post
    My wife and I are trying to plan a western states National Park trip in FY 2016, summer. We would like to see some of the familiar 'must sees' but would really like some in-put on lesser known gems. I'm thinking starting in New England and traveling west. My one limiting factor is a 30' camper hauled by a Ford Expedition with towing package. 9200lb gvw. Think we are at about 8000 lbs. Any thoughts on what we can or cannot do. (Went up thru the Appalachians with no problem, although 40 mph/flashers!) Would like to reach the Grand Canyon and then head east for the trip home. Thanks much!!
    Gordy and Andi
    We currently have a 30 ft motorhome and tow a jeep, so my experience is you will be able to find camping in the national and state parks but you might need to make reservations. The little known gems might depend on the gem. I know you will be able to fit in Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Capitol Reef, Zion and the S. Rim of the Grand Canyon. Once you decide on a route, I might be able to help you with campgrounds.

I don't know about weights and what your Expedition can or can not do while towing, but you might look into the Mountain Directory West to see what kind of mountain grades you will be getting into. http://www.mountaindirectory.com/westmap.html

Utahtea