1. Default Looking for Alternate route and tips from Vegas to NC

I drove from Atlanta to Las Vegas in four days taking the i-40 route. I am now going from Vegas to Asheville NC and I will have 14 days for the trip. I would like to take a different route this time to see some different scenery. Maybe check out Colorado or Montana or wherever. Sorry not a lot of info for you to go off but I haven't seen most of the country so I don't have a ton of ideas on where I should go. I would like to be in nature/walk/hike/meditate outside a couple hours a day. I am not an experienced hiker but i am a 25 year old male in good shape. I dont mind driving six to eight hours a day. I would also like to take 2 or 3 days with little to no driving to explore better.

Default All in your hands

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

With 14 days, the options for places you could go are nearly endless. And really, with endless options, no one is going to be able to guess what places would fit your interests better than you. Certainly, as you've mentioned Colorado or Montana, those could be great places to start. Either way, you'd go through Utah, which has several National Parks you could explore. If you want to go to Montana, then it would make sense to look at Grand Teton and Yellowstone along the way, or you could head to Colorado and explore the multiple National Parks there as well.

Since you say you don't have a ton of ideas where to go, your first step is to fix that! The things you could do are far greater than could ever be answered on any internet forum. Start by pulling out a good map, and just get a look at the many options. From there, start reading up on places you think might be interesting. Check out the How to Use this Site link at the top of the page for a lot more information on building the foundation for your plan.

Once you have a better idea of what you want to do with your trip, then a forum like this can be a great place to get answers to the more specific questions you may have.

Default Further to Michael's advice.

Here is a paragraph which may help you, it is the best advice I have ever read.

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck
    Start with maps. Not GPS, not software, not Google, but real honest-to-god paper maps that show you your entire route, that you can mark up (and erase), that you can stick pins in, and that show something about the land you'll be driving through. Those are your essential tool in any RoadTrip planning process. Start by marking all the places you know you want to visit. Then connect the dots. Then look for more places of interest and scenic routes along the lines connecting the dots. Repeat until you've got as many sites and roads as you think you want.
    Lifey

If you don't have a map, then get a road atlas. If you're in Las Vegas right now, they have Wal-Mart, and WM sells Rand McNally road atlases. One of the first two-page spreads has a US map with some of the highlights in the US on it. Find Las Vegas, and follow I-15 up. Not far from there is Zion National Park, in Utah -- filled with hiking opportunities if that's your pleasure. About 70 miles north (up) from there is Bryce Canyon National Park, with even more hiking opportunities. Follow one of the highways back to I-15, and head north to Idaho, where you can go to Grand Teton and Yellowstone. LOTS of outdoor activities there, including canoeing/kayaking in Grand Teton, hiking in Yellowstone. Use your electronic mapping programs to figure out your mileage and remember that 600 miles is more than plenty for a one day drive, but 375 is going to be the max if you want to stick to a 6-8 hour drive.

Donna

Default Multiple outlets for maps, etc.

As Donna mentions the double page spread will give you the interstates, etc. but if you then go to the individual maps of each State you will find you have much more choice, as they show all the roads and routes available to you. They also show exactly where all the national parks/forest and State parks/fores6t are, as well as a host of other attractions which may interest you. If you were to spend the whole fortnight in Colorado, you woyuld not be able to scratch the surface of its many attractions.

Of course, if you are a member of AAA there is not even the necessity to spend money on an atlas. Members get their maps free, as many as you want, States and Urban areas as well as the complete country. Just depends on which way you want to go. The main thing is don't leave home without them.

Lifey

If you're not a member of AAA, and your car is beyond warranty, it's a nice "peace-of-mind" to have the membership. They'll tow you (up to 4 or 7 miles, depending on where you're located) if you have a breakdown. If you're just buying a membership, go for the Gold right away. Once you've had a breakdown and used your towing feature, they may not let you upgrade. (Happened to us.)

Another way to get free maps is to stop at the state information or visitor center as you pull into each state. Look for the blue sign. The state maps issued there will often have things on them that the road atlas maps or AAA maps do not have. Oft times, I have all 3 in the vehicle with me.

Donna